What bipod for hunting???

Colin78

I did a search and looks like all the posts on this are several years old.

So what bipod do you recommend for hunting? Also what hight do you find most useful?

Please don't say just use your pack.

At least around 10-12", gun should sit level when prone. I put weight a higher priority since I find shooting sticks more useful so a cheap Magpul has worked for me. Ive been wanting to buy Backlanz bipod but their price is eluding my allowance these days as I rarely use a bipod instead of shooting sticks.

I've tried almost everything. I've always tried to stay lighter weight, with prone height bipods. But last season my buddy let me borrow is Hatch Outwest 27" bipod. It goes from prone to seated height. I ended up killing ALL of my animals in the seated position because of the terrain. That bipod is staying on my gun for the foreseeable future for sure. Super versatile.

I've used them all and I always end up back at the magpul. It just seems to be the most useful. It's done me fine for prone long range, but I find myself more often using it more unconventional. Both legs down angled out hard into a tree or something to help steady a shot with lots of forward pressure like in prs matches. It become my go bipod on everything.

I've always run Harris because they work. There's way fancier stuff out there nowadays, but I haven't found a reason to try them because the Harris works for me.

I use the 6-9" swivel version from Larue tactical with the pic qd attachment. This allows me to keep the bipod off the rifle until needed. I like shooting prone, but I find prone shots aren't always what is presented while in the field hunting.

Additionally, I have pic rails on all of my go to rigs. The above discussed bipod lets me swap to any of those rifles quickly. Other bipods like an atlas will do the same and I recommend this route regardless of bipod brand.

So what bipod do you recommend for hunting? Also what hight do you find most useful?

This depends on your terrain, position, hunting situations, and budget. The 6-9" offerings are best in prone areas, but on my hunting grounds, they are too low due to grass/vegetation. I like the ones that allow the shooter to transition from prone to sitting: Harris 13.5" - 24'/27" (depending on model ~$80 -$200+) and Hatch 27/36 (from ~$390-$525). Some folks are using tripods now, too, and they can be pricey and heavy endeavor. I have the Carbon Bog pod death grip.

Last edited:
I've always run Harris because they work. There's way fancier stuff out there nowadays, but I haven't found a reason to try them because the Harris works for me.

I use the 6-9" swivel version from Larue tactical with the pic qd attachment. This allows me to keep the bipod off the rifle until needed. I like shooting prone, but I find prone shots aren't always what is presented while in the field hunting.

Additionally, I have pic rails on all of my go to rigs. The above discussed bipod lets me swap to any of those rifles quickly. Other bipods like an atlas will do the same and I recommend this route regardless of bipod brand.

I'm with with FireFlyFishing.
However I use the Harris HBLS 9-13", RBA-1 Adapter and Atlas BT15: 3.35″ 1913 Picatinny Rail fitted to forend, just what I've always used and am used to.

I do like the look of the MDT CKYE-POD, though it's alot more expensive.

I have been using my atlas with quick detach it a bit heavier but way more stable and being a 5 position is much more useful. I do like the fierce carbon I purchased last year. As fee at as I'm concerned Magpul is junk. I have one I'll give you. As far as height that depends on where you hunt. I'm out west and use 6-9 ish and need a lot of adjustability that's why I like a 5 position. I've been thinking about tearing apart my Magpul to see if I can add a position to it

learn to shoot off your pack or something that is in the environment your hunting in. Bipods are simply another useless weight to carry in the woods & they get hung up on bushes, trees, backpack straps, etc. Also, they make too much noise. Doesn't matter what brand or model, they all make noise & it can/will ruin a hunt.

I'm using a MDT GRND with Arca clamp. I think it goes to 13. If I need more height I go to sticks, pack or tripod. I prefer my tripod. I can use the tripod at bipod height if needed.