Bipod backcountry hunting.

Let me know how to help you get rid of elk and wolves. Pm me if you want
idk man, this forum talks a big game, but I found there are very few who do real bivy/expedition/trek type hunting.

As someone who handles a fair amount of weight wellin the backcountry, I wouldn't waste the weight bringing the bipod. Use a tripod with a hog saddle and get good at it.

Why? Well, half the time we hunters are using it for glassing anyways….so at least it would have multiple purposes especially using with quick attach plate or arca mounts.

Next, imagine getting in the prone just to find out the grass, bush, brush, rocks or whatever is in your way….

You want to build a shooting position where you have a good lane. I personally find that rarely it's on the ground, but it might depend where you hunt. On the fly it's pack or trekking poles.
I get what your saying for sure. I do have my trekking poles with the wiser precision attachment on them and that seems to work pretty good. I dont know if it would help out or get in the way to have a "permanent" bipod or not haven't had much time in the field to with one on.

The lightest backcountry bipod for a rifle I know of is made in New Zeland called Backlanz. They do ship to the US. Expensive, but check out the weight....

You can buy dedicated tent poles from Six Moon Designs to replace the trekking pole tent setup so you can carry the Weiser adapted trekking poles with you on the hunt.

I get what your saying for sure. I do have my trekking poles with the wiser precision attachment on them and that seems to work pretty good. I dont know if it would help out or get in the way to have a "permanent" bipod or not haven't had much time in the field to with one on.
I actually use both. A bipod and the Wiser attached trekking poles option…best of ALL worlds

I'm currently running the Atlas on a couple different rifles, very happy with the stability and durable construction, they run about $290 Also have a RRS tripod with their Anvil arca head, does double duty for holding spotter or rifle, it is rock solid but a little heavy, bulky and spendy at well over $1k and takes a few more seconds to get setup if you find the need to adjust the legs. Recently saw the MDT ckye pod Gen 2 triple pull bipod on someone's rifle, very high quality reasonably light weight unit, adjusts quickly, that gets you all heights from prone to sitting, but it's very spendy at nearly $1k

Working on getting my rifle set up.
Those that go backcountry hunting can you recommend a good bipod to put on my rifle. It will be attached to a picatinny rail. Would like to if all possible to stay under $250 and still get a light weight sturdy bipod. Let me know any. Any insight will be appreciated.
I am running a MDT now. It is a very good bipod. I have an american defense QD mount for a picatinny but need to swap it to a arca qd. While you are doing rifle set up you might want to look into a good back country tripod too. I run a Fiesol 3342 with 50mm ball head and rrs qd arca mount. It is around 3.5 lbs and will also work as a bipod if needed. I have used the tripod a lot in the field due to terrain and vegetation so it pack it everywhere. I have made some very long shots on wolves and coyotes with it.

This may set off the LR group, here goes…
Practice off hand shooting. Shoot standing on your hind legs without any support and become proficient. Remember as kids how we could hit sparrows with a Daisy or shoot rabbits with your favorite (only rifle you had) .22? This will help with your hunting at distance a lot more than sitting at a bench burning hard to get components. It will make shooting off of a bipod, a pack, or sticks a lot easier. Get back to the basics with a good .22 and see if it helps when you switch to your hunting rifle. Just my opinion, probably not worth 2 cents….

Practice off hand shooting. Shoot standing on your hind legs without any support and become proficient. Remember as kids how we could hit sparrows with a Daisy or shoot rabbits with your favorite (only rifle you had) .22? This will help with your hunting at distance a lot more than sitting at a bench burning hard to get components. It will make shooting off of a bipod, a pack, or sticks a lot easier. Get back to the basics with a good .22 and see if it helps when you switch to your hunting rifle. Just my opinion, probably not worth 2 cents….
There is nothing wrong with good fundamentals and such practice but off hand shooting and long range under field conditions is the last option IMHO. A supported position should always be the go to first, starting at the ground and working up. I've shot plenty of animals and targets off hand and also know that for me, anything past 300 is iffy especially in wind. Shot a match once with a stage that was standing off hand in 20-25 mph wind. Only one who repeated hit that target was a lady in our squad. You are definitely correct about the process, but he was asking about recommended products, vs recommended shooting tips I think.

The lightest backcountry bipod for a rifle I know of is made in New Zeland called Backlanz. They do ship to the US. Expensive, but check out the weight....

You can buy dedicated tent poles from Six Moon Designs to replace the trekking pole tent setup so you can carry the Weiser adapted trekking poles with you
For sure going down to the local reservoir and blasting those sparrows with the pump bb gun was a bkast. Or hitting those jack rabbits on a dead sprint you knew you were good when you could make that happen

A bipod wouldn't do me any good either. Too much brush and tall grass. I have a telescoping walking stick. But I mostly hunt in woods so I can just lean against a tree normally.

I did away with my bipod this year to drop weight. Where I've hunted I feel like prone opportunities are pretty rare.

I have a lightweight tripod that excels at nothing but does a lot of stuff really well.

I use it for glass and shooting. It's really not stable enough for stand up shooting but I'm not much on that anyway. It's great from the seated and will also work in the prone. I also use my pack for prone shooting.

20221116_090943.jpg

Recent Posts