Bipod backcountry hunting.

For ultra lightweight your gunna be hard to beat a spartan precision
Mountain Gear bipod is the one that is hard to beat for backcountry hunting.
16743501237541269282270932497664.jpg

I did away with my bipod this year to drop weight. Where I've hunted I feel like prone opportunities are pretty rare.

I have a lightweight tripod that excels at nothing but does a lot of stuff really well.

I use it for glass and shooting. It's really not stable enough for stand up shooting but I'm not much on that anyway. It's great from the seated and will also work in the prone. I also use my pack for prone shooting.

View attachment 430272

Slick what tripod is that one??

I'm a Harris guy and I like the modified version with pic adapter from LaRue Tactical.

Edit: I need to add I have my trekking poles set up for shooting sticks as well. I'll carry my Harris bipod In the side pocket of my backpack in case I need to crawl and make a prone shot. The QD pic rail connection installs the bipod quickly.

Last edited:
Mountain Gear bipod is the one that is hard to beat for backcountry hunting.
The Mountain Gear carbon bipod looks great and appears to be one-half the weight of my Magpul bipod. I'm currently using Magpul bipod and have two of them; one for rifle with swivel stud and one for rifle with pic rail. Unfortunately my Peak 44 Blacktooth stock comes from factory with swivel stud on the front and it is not recommended to modify stock with pic rail. I've been able to deploy the Magpul twice in the field for 340 yard shot on Pronghorn and a 520 yard shot on Elk. I think that I got lucky with the short grass and line of sight. I did have a tripod nearby just in case I needed to shoot from sitting position.

.1705861084255.png

Slick what tripod is that one??

It's a leupold alpine 425. It's great for prone, sitting to kneeling. I also use it for glassing but for standing to glass you have to install a 10 inch insert. I tend to remove that for long sits.

If you're looking for a cheap, semi lightweight option, go with the magpul. I was hesitant at first but it works great. I've had it on many extreme backpack hunts and was very satisfied with it.