Help - best Backcountry wall tent?

BirdDog50

Need assistance with selecting the best backcountry wall tent for mountain elk hunting. We typically pack in by horse so needs to be as light weight as possible. We want to have poles included - no cutting trees when you get to camping spot for poles...floor would be a bonus. Two person with gear...anyone have recommendations?

Kodiak canvas makes a nice 12X12 that packs on horses nicely. With poles. I never used it in bad weather, but I know a few outfitters that use them for their pack in hunts and like them.

Just my .02 re: a floor. In a wall tent, they can be a bigger pain than it's worth. You will get mud, wood chips, ashes, etc. on the floor and it's a pain to try and clean the floor. I've always just taken one or more of the cheap blue tarps to use as a floor by the cot area. They pack easily and can shake them off to get rid of debris.

When weight is an issue I use a Kifaru Sawtooth, great for one, can fit 2 but you better be friends especially if running a wood stove, I have a titanium lite outdoors xl wood stove for that tent. When weight doesn't matter as much I have a Davis 10x12 wall tent, 2 people with a stove is comfortable, I have a four dogs steel stove for this tent. For 3-4 people I use a Davis 14x16 tent, again 4 dog steel wood stove, 4 people is doable but once again you better be friends. Whatever canvas wall tent you choose, if you go that route, I recommend getting 5' high side walls.

I do agree with wyosteve about a floor in a wall tent being somewhat of a pain. We use a 12x17 Montana wall tent with the relite material. Used it for 4 people and used a lite paint cloth for the sleeping bag area. It had plenty of room for the four of us and with stood some pretty good storms. Had 30 inches of snow one night. Don't remember the weight but it wasn't too bad. Will admit that we had to pack up and leave because there wasn't anything for the horses and mules to eat. But we were comfortable and nice and warm. Well until the tent came down and it was time to saddle everything up, get it packed and ride 18 miles.

My vote goes to the Wilderness Trail Llamas Continental. Ive set it up and there's room for 3 guys on cots with a stove and small table for cooking. Super light and well thought out.

Wanted to thank everyone for all their excellent input!!! I will review with my hunting partner. I like the concept of the wilderness ridge tents however they're very pricey watching the videos the canvas looks thin not sure how it would hold up in the heavy snow storms we get into in Montana here. Other item is I am not sure how high those sidewalls are versus the conventional wall tent. I could have missed it but I don't see any customer reviews on their site. All that said wouldn't rule it out it's a great design and especially the lightweight aspect for long trails in the backcountry. Like DMJ's Post are experiences would be very similar. Thanks again hopefully more will post ideas here too.

It will be just fine in the snow, Im in MT and I have zero hesitation on using it during rifle season. The sidewall height is a non issue, you can still put a standard size cot against the wall and still sit on it without worrying about head clearance.

Thank you for that additional information on the wilderness ridge tents! We will take a closer look at them....love the light weight aspect of them!

Recent Posts