Wall Tent discussion - researching, want input from experienced users

As others have mentioned Davis is a great tent. I bought the 14x16 Elk Camp Tent with a stove and internal frame. I added 2 windows and got the 3/4 floor. Just added a 7ft awning this year to get some extra space on the front end. Comfortably fits 3 adults and all their gear. I did have 4 adults on one trip but it was tight.

If you are a younger guy you can setup an internal framed tent by yourself, I have done it many times.

As others mentioned you do not need the "rain fly". I have had snow, rain and sun on the tent, used it in 5 different states and yet to have any issues with condensation or leaks. Chat with Davis Tents, I think you will really like them.
20211124_055550.jpg

Truckers tarp, waterproof poly stuff way heavier than the home Depot or harbor freight stuff.
I ran flatbed semis a while back and a high percentage of loads I ran were tarped. We also had curtainside trailers in our fleet. If what you are referring to as "truckers tarps" are the same thick vinyl and fabric material we used (tarps and curtains were all the same material - we patched them the same way) I would concur - that is way heavier than any "tarp" most people would be familiar with.

On a bit different topic, I don't remember what specific weight of material the tarps and curtains were with the semi trucks I ran. However, I am working with a company that makes those tarps to work up a set of flapped transportation tarps for our open trailer ("transportation tarps" are entirely different than generic square or rectangular tarps in that they are both reinforced with webbing at the attachment points and have rows of D rings, not just grommets at the ends, so they can be pulled taught over various heights of loads). They have 14oz, 18oz, and 22oz. I wish I knew where that stacked up to the semi tarps, however the 22oz is the thickest they have. I assume that would be the most durable.

And the place that does those tarps does everything under the sun with "tarps" - boat covers, gazebo and porch enclosures, awnings, etc. I'm sure I could get a quote on a fly. However, I am not sold on that material for a "tent fly". It can get brittle and crack over time.

Being that you mentioned packing it in a trailer or pickup bed, I'll mention what some friends of mine used for many many years.

It's all homemade. You take 4x8 sheets of plywood, lay them on the long side, and put hinges on the short ends to pin them together.
Two sheets would stay pinned together and were set up as the corners, then pinned in the middle.
On the ends, a second row of plywood cut for a roof pitch was stacked on the bottom row.
A long 2x6 was used for the roof peak with 2x4 "rafters" that set into place to support the roof.
The plywood was also insulated with pink styrofoam.
They were incredibly warm and durable and the configuration could be changed to meet your needs.
Let me know if you want more info. I could maybe draw something up to better show how they were built.
Obviously not something you'd pack in but if you're base camping out of the pickup they cant be beat!
Interesting idea. If you have pictures I would be interested to see what you all have come up with using that construction method.

I agree - if you insulate like you describe that would be pretty warm in the winter time.

Several years ago now I went with a buddy of mine and some others on a sailing adventure of sorts where we went out to an island and set up for the June Ham Radio Field Day event. It wasn't anything "remote", per se. The island we went to has a park where we could camp. We set up canopies over a couple picnic tables. I strung up a tarp over top for better shade and weather protection - and we needed it that weekend.

After that trip we were putting our heads together on shelter ideas and one idea that came up was making a modular "building" with panels that go together, similar to what your describing with the plywood sheets.

One of the challenges setting up is uneven ground. One way to solve that is to have a platform.

For an extreme example of the functionality of a platform based tent/structure set up - check out this video of a ham radio expedition (in the ham radio world they're called DXPeditions - where DX is is a term for rare/far away) to Heard Island near Antarctica in 1997. I think it is probably the best classic example of a real heavily funded and supported DXPedition. I am not sure there ever will be another DXpedition of the same caliber. Some recent ones, and attempted ones, have not fared well and have been scaled way back. That said, what they did on this one for camp was really ingenious.

They used dome style tents (not full found, just half moon tubes, if you will, with flat fronts/backs) instead of walls and pitched roofs. In the modular building ideas we were coming up with we were thinking more traditional walls and pitched roof.

The modular building + platform idea has some distinct advantages in rigidity, strength, and insulation ability, among others.

The down side to the idea is bulk, weight, and effort to assemble.

That is where a wall tent I think is a better option. Since the vast majority of our uses would be in fair weather (hopefully) and warmer temps I think the tried and tested wall tent theory makes sense. Sure, we can come up with our own thing, and I like doing that - coming up with an idea and bringing it to reality - but I think in this case we can get a good structure, and a lot of options with various modules, going with the wall tent theory, even at this point if it is set up just on the ground. That isn't to say we can't make a platform for it later.

Interesting idea. If you have pictures I would be interested to see what you all have come up with using that construction method.

I agree - if you insulate like you describe that would be pretty warm in the winter time.

Several years ago now I went with a buddy of mine and some others on a sailing adventure of sorts where we went out to an island and set up for the June Ham Radio Field Day event. It wasn't anything "remote", per se. The island we went to has a park where we could camp. We set up canopies over a couple picnic tables. I strung up a tarp over top for better shade and weather protection - and we needed it that weekend.

After that trip we were putting our heads together on shelter ideas and one idea that came up was making a modular "building" with panels that go together, similar to what your describing with the plywood sheets.

One of the challenges setting up is uneven ground. One way to solve that is to have a platform.

For an extreme example of the functionality of a platform based tent/structure set up - check out this video of a ham radio expedition (in the ham radio world they're called DXPeditions - where DX is is a term for rare/far away) to Heard Island near Antarctica in 1997. I think it is probably the best classic example of a real heavily funded and supported DXPedition. I am not sure there ever will be another DXpedition of the same caliber. Some recent ones, and attempted ones, have not fared well and have been scaled way back. That said, what they did on this one for camp was really ingenious.

They used dome style tents (not full found, just half moon tubes, if you will, with flat fronts/backs) instead of walls and pitched roofs. In the modular building ideas we were coming up with we were thinking more traditional walls and pitched roof.

The modular building + platform idea has some distinct advantages in rigidity, strength, and insulation ability, among others.

The down side to the idea is bulk, weight, and effort to assemble.

That is where a wall tent I think is a better option. Since the vast majority of our uses would be in fair weather (hopefully) and warmer temps I think the tried and tested wall tent theory makes sense. Sure, we can come up with our own thing, and I like doing that - coming up with an idea and bringing it to reality - but I think in this case we can get a good structure, and a lot of options with various modules, going with the wall tent theory, even at this point if it is set up just on the ground. That isn't to say we can't make a platform for it later.

I'll see if I can find any pics, and if not I can draw it up too.
I think in nice weather, especially summertime type weather, the wall tents would be great. Where these really shine is then it's cold and/or snowy out.
We hunted near Steamboat one fall for muzzleloader season. Camped right off the road. Had some guys pull in and give us a hard time about being set up to be there for the entire winter.
It snowed every night and by halfway through the week, their wall tent had collapsed and they went home.
We also used them every year for rifle season in northern Mn and regularly had snow/cold without a problem.

this tent is set up on our lease . it's been set up for about a year now , and it's staying up . the rain fly was bought from the tent maker . the fly seems to be a heavier material kind of like a rubbery fabric . this tent does use the internal frame . I'll try to remember to take a few pics inside to show how he has ran ratchet straps to help support the roof .

Mikes tent.jpg

solo colorado elk hunt .
this is my Davis tent with the traditional poles . I just used a cheap tarp from maybe harbor freight . I think my floor is the same material as the rain fly on the tent above .

edit to add 2 more pics .

everything seems great to me , except for the pellet burner . it's a pain in the neck . I probably mess with it more than just burning wood . the colder it is the better it works . I think it's probably still less time consuming than gathering wood when hunting solo .

PA100843.JPG PA090837.JPG PA090838.JPG PA090842.JPG

Last edited:
I bought a Reliable Wall tent. It has an aluminum frame, doors on both ends for warm weather, and one side even zips up. I live in windy country, so their lower roof angle is a plus. If you live in snow country, steeper is better.

Take a look at Kodiak Canvas. They are not traditional wall tents but have some features you seem to be looking for.

Some models are modular, some are set up for a stovepipe.

I have one of their flex bow tents and have used it for family camping, and fall hunting trips. It went through one hunt trip with 60-70mph winds and a blizzard, and held up fine. I did guy the poles with heavy stakes and ropes.

I came up with metal angle kit that I used to weld and have actually shipped out and sold quite a few of them. They allowed me to use 2x2s for my frame. I have had literally feet of snow on my tent and the 2x2s held up just fine in fact I could do pull-ups on them.

I now use a $400 Ozark trails wall tent that comes from walmart.com. I love the thing even though it's from China. It's 10x12. It came with an internal frame kit it's not the heaviest duty but it's small enough in the size that I haven't had any problems with snow collapsing it although I do clean it off. I always put a tarp over the sleeping section of our tent.

I'll add my 2 cents. I've had a few or used several over the years. I've really been happy with Elk Mountain for the materials used and some of their features.

this tent is set up on our lease . it's been set up for about a year now , and it's staying up . the rain fly was bought from the tent maker . the fly seems to be a heavier material kind of like a rubbery fabric . this tent does use the internal frame . I'll try to remember to take a few pics inside to show how he has ran ratchet straps to help support the roof .

Ah yes. Ratchet straps. Whoever invented those is a life saver.

Off topic, but I think the most off the wall (no pun intended) use for one Ive come up with was on a boat trip around our lake. We've had a place on a lake for generations - a sizable lake. I was out on a day trip exploring. There is a section where 2 "bays" are joined by a manual crank tram, kinda like a train car with boat trailer bunks. I got to it - about an hour or hour and a half run in the boat to get there - and the tram was off the tracks. So I strentched a ratchet strap over the bow of the boat and floated the tram on the boat so I could get the wheels back on the tracks. Real PITA but I had the strap on the boat for what ever I needed something like that for and it saved the day.

Take a look at Kodiak Canvas. They are not traditional wall tents but have some features you seem to be looking for.

Some models are modular, some are set up for a stovepipe.

I have one of their flex bow tents and have used it for family camping, and fall hunting trips. It went through one hunt trip with 60-70mph winds and a blizzard, and held up fine. I did guy the poles with heavy stakes and ropes.
Thanks for mentioning them. I had not heard of them before. Interesting options. As you state - their Flex Bow series are not traditional "wall tents". Those are very similar to the cabin tents we have now, just canvas instead of the nylon tent material.

I don't see any of their options that would suit, however. From their product listings on their site it appears they are more "order a specific product the way we make it" type of a vendor. Looking at the dimensions I am working with and what they offer I don't think they are the right company for us.

a couple of pics inside the tent , showing how he used ratchet straps to help support the tent fabric , and also tying the pieces of tent together . this tent is a main tent , with a front porch added in the middle, with a cook shack added on the end . he has three straps between each metal frame pole . where the sections meet together he laced the canvas with rope , and holds the metal frames together with a ratchet strap . we just put a canopy infront of the tent , it's not attached . this tent has been up over a year now . during snow season , when he leaves he puts a ratchet strap from side wall to side wall and puts a little tension on them , this is where the roof meets the wall . there is probably better ways of doing this , this is what he's done . sorry it took so long for me to remember to take a few pics .

tent one.jpgtent two.jpgtent three.jpgtent four.jpgtent five.jpgtent six.jpgtent seven.jpg

a couple of pics inside the tent , showing how he used ratchet straps to help support the tent fabric , and also tying the pieces of tent together . this tent is a main tent , with a front porch added in the middle, with a cook shack added on the end . he has three straps between each metal frame pole . where the sections meet together he laced the canvas with rope , and holds the metal frames together with a ratchet strap . we just put a canopy infront of the tent , it's not attached . this tent has been up over a year now . during snow season , when he leaves he puts a ratchet strap from side wall to side wall and puts a little tension on them , this is where the roof meets the wall . there is probably better ways of doing this , this is what he's done . sorry it took so long for me to remember to take a few pics .

View attachment 487378View attachment 487379View attachment 487380View attachment 487382View attachment 487384View attachment 487385View attachment 487386
I like the ratchet strap idea. I did something very similar with rope on our dog kennel to help with the snow load.
It completely eliminated the roof caving in due to snow!

Here are a couple pictures for perspective.

This is the back side of the tents. Right is the 10x14, left is the 10x19.5

Wood poles are 12' 4x4's I split out of some 4'x12' pallets. All cordage is 550 paracord. The flagged stakes are 18" 1/2" rebar (anchors for the wood poles etc).

View attachment 477205

Below is the front side. The canopy is a "common area". In looking at my Wall Tent idea this would be the "cook shack".

The tarps give us a lot of area to store things "under cover" outside of the tents also. That will be a consideration with my wall tent idea, however we are going to have a substantial amount more room inside if I use the 2x 14x15 "tents" with a "cook shack" sandwiched between - the cook shack space would likely cover everything.

I'll have to give the idea of the "cook shack" some more thought. In the specific set up here that might not be entirely ideal. Rather, an awning the same size might be better - with removable sides. That way we have the roof over-head, but if the wind kicks up or there's a storm we would have the option of closing in the sides. With a walled "cook shack" you couldn't open it up the same way. In the colder weather, though, the walled "cook shack" would be ideal. Plus that can double as its own smaller stand-alone tent.

View attachment 477206

A bit off topic, but a good topic to expand the perspective of things - in the top 1st picture, the upper right of it you can see a guy line going bottom left to upper right. That is the top guy support for the 65' antenna. Heres a better (not great) picture of it below. That gets back to a point I made earlier on about guying things down and the strength of guys. We've been doing it for years with a lot of various things.

The ladder in the background is the "launch pad". The 4 way guy system is set up so when going up and down the side pair holds the mast steady, the rear holds it from cresting and falling forward, and the front pair works in conjunction with ratchet straps so as to be able to adjust the top and bottom guy lengths in increments. An ATV winch (anchored to the ground with 2x 1/2" rebar stakes in series) with wireless remote is the pulling power. Having the mast set on the ladder gives the initial angle needed for the winch pressure to raise it (with a little help from a push stick at first).

View attachment 477207
I have hunted using wall tents in MT for years. Your setup would probably not make it a day or two. If what you have there works where you are, I don't think you you can go wrong with any canvas wall tent.