Wall Tent discussion - researching, want input from experienced users

Modified Hardware store garage tent. Can be shortened or lengthened, covered with extra tarps, and is warm well below zero. Has withstood strong winds. When we set it up we generally lived in it for at least a couple weeks.

1689172639273.jpeg

1689173132378.jpeg

I worked at Davis Tent for a little over a decade total.

I would not get a frame, ever, I'd get their traditional poles because they are significantly stronger, significantly better in weather, lighter, and shorter.

I would not get taller walls, ever, because they increase the wind profile and 99% of people put cots and other things around the perimeter. When someone is standing on the side of their cot, 3' from the wall, they have full standing height.

If you call in, the only person you should talk to is Chris.

When you mention traditional poles I was thinking wilderness setup I guess, crossed logs front and back with ridge pole and side poles, tent hanging from them. Not sure if they offer the poles complete or they provide fittings and you still have to get EMT and cut to length and you put end fittings in. Eye bolts at top of side poles...

Good insight from this guy. What about stove jack through side of tent instead of roof?

When you mention traditional poles I was thinking wilderness setup I guess, crossed logs front and back with ridge pole and side poles, tent hanging from them. Not sure if they offer the poles complete or they provide fittings and you still have to get EMT and cut to length and you put end fittings in. Eye bolts at top of side poles...

Good insight from this guy. What about stove jack through side of tent instead of roof?
Roof

The traditional poles I linked earlier should be complete.

One thing I don't like is there is a guy rope in the center of the door and I walk into it all the time when exiting. Door pole is 6 foot tall and so am I and I have to bend down a little coming out of tent.
Our neice and nephew ran in to the pole guys getting out at night to go to the bathroom. Our group rents a porta jon for the event and is set up right next to the main "camp area" or "common area" so it is close. I put flagging tape on the guy ropes to help with that, but still an inconvenience.

Just a thought in your case - use 2 ropes and set them out at angles. That way there isnt one going straight out in front of the entry, they can slope off to the sides. You need 2 to get the force/tension to go the direction you need it to go.

Yep, I thought of trying that. There are actually 2 ropes, one for for pole and the other for the fly, as long as it's equalized in tension. Also thought maybe a modified A frame for the door used for entry, no center pole at door.

Since everyone is showing pictures of their tents, I believe mine is 10 ft x12 ft.
In the second picture you can see what I mean by color taping the angles and poles. Fireproof tarp/fly extends past the walls about two feet on either side.
IMG_1235.jpeg
IMG_1236.jpeg

Last edited:
@406ANGLER - What is the floor material you are using? I see your stove is sitting right on it - I'm thinking that might not be such a good idea?
Agreed, terrible idea. I believe that was the second time I had taken the tent hunting. It's exactly what it looks like, a plain blue costco tarp, it's what I had at the time. I was keeping an eye on it that night, curious if it would melt or not and it started to get pretty warm so I cut a hole around the wood stove shortly after that picture was taken. I just take a few smaller tarps for a footprint and leave a decent sized area under the stove uncovered these days.

14 x 16 Davis wall tent. Put a good tarp over it with awning and your good to go. I've had so much snow, had to shovel down the sides because needed room for the snow to slide off. The awning needs staked down good; as wind will try to lift. Use the stakes the concrete guys use with the holes in them. Drive them in and use bailing wire through the holes to hold down frame on awning.

Attachments

• 07C5FC37-6858-4606-B76D-18A4CF6B536F.jpeg
    07C5FC37-6858-4606-B76D-18A4CF6B536F.jpeg
    416 KB · Views: 35
I've heard several mentions of "tarps" over top of the wall tents.

What materials are people using for this application?

Or am I misunderstanding some of your terminology and you are referring to a specific canvas type fly material such as what some of the wall tent manufacturers make for their tents as optional (or standard) accessories?

Or am I misunderstanding some of your terminology and you are referring to a specific canvas type fly material such as what some of the wall tent manufacturers make for their tents as optional (or standard) accessories?
I use a white fire retardant tarp, as in poly tarpaulin. Mainly to protect the roof from getting pinhole burns from embers.

Being that you mentioned packing it in a trailer or pickup bed, I'll mention what some friends of mine used for many many years.

It's all homemade. You take 4x8 sheets of plywood, lay them on the long side, and put hinges on the short ends to pin them together.
Two sheets would stay pinned together and were set up as the corners, then pinned in the middle.
On the ends, a second row of plywood cut for a roof pitch was stacked on the bottom row.
A long 2x6 was used for the roof peak with 2x4 "rafters" that set into place to support the roof.
The plywood was also insulated with pink styrofoam.
They were incredibly warm and durable and the configuration could be changed to meet your needs.
Let me know if you want more info. I could maybe draw something up to better show how they were built.
Obviously not something you'd pack in but if you're base camping out of the pickup they cant be beat!

Truckers tarp, waterproof poly stuff way heavier than the home Depot or harbor freight stuff.