Canvas tent- help me out.

If truck camping, save a little longer and buy a little bigger. I've had two 15 X 15 Eena wall tents. (A bear ate the first one. :( ) It's still light enough to make one side-load on a pack horse. Larger than necessary for three but nice if the weather is bad. In Wyoming style wind, I'll never go without some 16" or 18" rebar corner stakes again. Ask me how I know.... Also, absolutely demand 5' wall height. Useable space will diminish a lot with 4' walls. You'll love your wall tent!

FB_IMG_1572476011676.jpg

I love my Kodiak Flexbow 10x14. Its been in 40-50mph winds and took it like a champ. It has had 4 men with cots in it and was very cramped....a stove wouldn't be possible. 3 is much better and 2 is perfect for a long hunt. I can set it up by myself in less than 15 minutes.

If something happens to mine I will buy another one.

20171102_114103.jpg

20181002_124434.jpg
Wyoming wind. The green tent in the background was smashed flat shortly after this picture was taken. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that.

I love my Kodiak Flexbow 10x14. Its been in 40-50mph winds and took it like a champ. It has had 4 men with cots in it and was very cramped....a stove wouldn't be possible. 3 is much better and 2 is perfect for a long hunt. I can set it up by myself in less than 15 minutes.

View attachment 209107

View attachment 209108
Wyoming wind. The green tent in the background was smashed flat shortly after this picture was taken. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of that.
It looks to me like flexbow stole their design from Springbar tents in Salt lake City. I have had one of theirs for over 40 years, they are one of the best tents made. But I still use a 12 x 14 wall tent for hunting camp.

View attachment 209107

View attachment 209108

do you do any surface treatments on these like you would canvas? I know everything will get wet, but the ones I have been in could dry out pretty quick inside with a good stove. To where we would hang wet clothes inside to dry them at night.

do you do any surface treatments on these like you would canvas? I know everything will get wet, but the ones I have been in could dry out pretty quick inside with a good stove. To where we would hang wet clothes inside to dry them at night.

I treat mine every other year with kiwi camp dry. I couldn't tell you if its necessary or not....ive always done it and never got wet.

There are loops sewn in around the top. We run small rope through those loops to hang clothes from. They also make "gear hammocks" for these tents for that purpose.

These tents don't come with a stove jack, so you would have to add one of those to use a vented stove. I will probably add one next year and run a Nu-way gas stove. There aren't many trees in a lot of places we hunt.

I was gonna type up a long list of "why you should get a canvas tent" but decided you probably have already arrived at the reason for THAT decision.

So....there are 4 in our little huntin club, BBD Bunch. Once there was a 5th that tagged along. 2003 we sprung for TWO 16x24x5 Davis, heavy canvas w/ resistance to sun, moisture, and fire retardant features with doors at both ends.

We use 1 for sleep and 1 for cooking. There's a wood stove and wood pile in the sleeper, and two Mr. Heater propane tank top heaters for the cook tent. Each hunter has his own cot w/ cot trees, a trunk/tote at the end of his bed, and we have a 6' tall plastic shelf system from Home depot in the center of the sleeper for misc. storage.

The 4 of us sleep very comfortably and don't like to be crowed. 5-6 COULD fit in the sleeper, but we're old and cranky and just put the one time additional hunter in the cook tent.

USE A RAIN FLY! It's a LOT easier to get a heavy snow off that than the roof of your tent.
Buy the HEAVY duty rubber trash cans, one for each tent, for annual storage.
Once back home after every trip that had snow, set up the tent, try it out, then store it.
Take care if it and it will take care of you. It's been 17 years now, they're still like new and we couldn't hunt without them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.