Wall Tent Camping - Luxury items?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by DoubleGobble00, Aug 24, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. 2Rope

2Rope Active Member

I take a bale of straw, if it rains and gets muddy bust the bale in front of the door and you won’t track in as much mud. It makes a good seat if it doesn’t rain.

2. ofbandg

ofbandg Well-Known Member

For many years we used wall tents on our northern hunts where we stayed for three weeks or better. Old carpets on the floor, extra tarp over the tent, "large" wood stove so it will burn for hours, propane burners and light, which we put on a propane post, and a powerful propane heater which we flip on in the morning to heat the tent so we can get up without shivering, (the guy with the weakest bladder lights it). Quality large cots with three inch foam pads and big sleeping bags are a must. A solid table for all your food preparation and a good wash up station for face, hands and dishes keeps everyone healthy, and lots of "S" hooks to put over the internal frame of your tent to hang things from. If you are using the external type of frame that's called roughing it. Also, take a small chainsaw to cut wood with. Trying to keep up with a stove in cold weather is tough enough. And I don't like generators either but I take one to run a freezer in case it gets warm enough to spoil the meat - but even then we just run it for a few hours in the middle of the day.

3. Bill Cauley Jr

Bill Cauley Jr Well-Known Member

Mustn’t be bears in that area as you should not have food especially cook food in your tent where you were sleeping I see by the picture they are doing that so their must not be bears in the area

4. Pro2A

Pro2A Well-Known Member

Len, are we seeing the same copy by Country Bumpkin????? What language offends to deserve a WARNING???

tmfisher57 likes this.
  5. marvee

marvee Active Member

well said

Samesaw likes this.
  6. Win.308Stealth

Win.308Stealth Well-Known Member

I hear you. That's why we spent the extra money on the super quite one, and only run it in the evening and shut it off for the night.
    But turning off someone's fuel in a generator isn't a good idea. A few years ago we went hunting and we had another group set up there tent 10 feet away from ours (we didn't mind it, only level ground onsite). They ran a gender the whole night. My good buddy, couldn't stand the noise, went over during the night and shut the fuel off. 2 nights later we found out that one of the guys from that group had a medical condition and ended power to run his medical device. The guy didn't even hunt (no tag) he came up to hang with his brother who was in the Air Force, and this was the only time they could spend together before the brother was going on deployment.
    Not that good of an idea to shut someone's power off.
    My buddy fealt like manure after learning about this guys condition.

chuplis, tmfisher57, Dpmj and 2 others like this.
  7. Samesaw

Samesaw Member

Bring 1) Thick Prime Rib Steaks !!!
    2) favourite cigars (eg. Backwoods)
    3) favourite bourbon for after dinner
    4) small micky of fireball to warm up
    5) knee pads or 3-leg stool if blinding

8. Samesaw

Samesaw Member

Any large warm blooded mammal that wanders into my hunting campsite in the middle of night - risks being shot in the head !!!

9. Country Bumpkin

Country Bumpkin Well-Known Member

My apologies. Remove if necessary (or substitute “frustrates”).

10. magtech83

magtech83 Active Member

No swearing....On a hunting forum... I didnt know this site was run by my mother... and that i'm still 5 years old.

tmfisher57 likes this.
  11. Dean2

Dean2 Well-Known Member

Depending on where you hunt, a solar charged electric fence does wonders to keep bears and two legged vermin out of your camp. With Fiberglass poles for reduced voltage loss, a double strand of wire and a good battery they will run for months on the solar charger.

CO_Guy and Country Bumpkin like this.
  12. CO_Guy

CO_Guy Well-Known Member

Our wood burning stove is pretty much our gear item. We're used to taking sponge baths with a large pot of hot water. The items I've seen here that I like, are the speaker as a little music is nice, the great food items and other goodies, a guitar, and maybe a camp chef, preferably an attractive redheaded female.

I gotta say, I strive to be as far as I can, from anyone with a generator. Solar panels work great if you need more power.

13. KS2506

KS2506 Active Member

14. Country Bumpkin

Country Bumpkin Well-Known Member

L
    Noted, and lesson learned. I only did it once, years and years ago when I was younger and much dumber. Since, I’ve become more “tolerant”, I still don’t like generators, but I live with and grumble to myself (usually).