Wall Tent Camping - Luxury items?

The need to use profanity is a clear sign of a poor vocabulary and an inability to articulately express ones self. It can also often be a need to sound rough and tough. Some of the toughest men I have ever known never swore no matter what happened. That sure didn't make them shrinking violets that needed anyone to protect them, nor were they guys I was afraid to have covering my back. Just the opposite in fact.

I see no upside to allowing or tolerating profanity on a public forum that I quite happily let young children read and enjoy. Not ALL customers are of the same value, in business I have told a fair number of customers to go elsewhere. Their personality, business practices or in some cases lack of honesty didn't align with my way of doing business. I never really missed the business and tremendously enjoyed the people I did deal with.

..............................................................................................................
>>Very mature comment Jeff. Len, you are a nice man and have ultimate editorial oversight on YOUR blog. BUTT, my friend I would not lose sight of the old axiom that "the customer is always right" i.e. categorizing the expression "pi__ ed off" as vulgar is a rather parochial even puritanical, oversight on your part...Reminiscent of the liberal "oversight" of conservative comment on current social media. Can we say, the loss of freedom of speech. A hunting forum is for "rough men that stand ready to do violent things so that [ soft ] people can sleep peaceably" ..on their cots clutching their bear spray. Len you would not have melded well with the football locker rooms nor pilot ready rooms I matured in. Your "sensitivities" [ and thus Rules ] are a little too sensitive for me. Butt, I'm just a customer.

I grew up on the farm, and did that line of work into my mid twenties. Then I became a truck driver and hauled freight for 15 years. Now I train truck drivers, including administering CDL tests- the customer is definitely NOT always right. Most of my friends are either cops, firefighters, EMTs, or servicemen. These folks (men and women) tend to have a rather rough and ready vocabulary, and a sense of humor that can make you lose your lunch if they want to push it. I personally know all the words that aren't supposed to be broadcast over the airwaves, and can use them in colorful sentences. Having said all that, I find it refreshing to have a forum where there is a little class and decorum established as the framework for our discussions. In other words, there ain't nothin' wrong with rule number four.

..............................................................................................................
>>Very mature comment Jeff. Len, you are a nice man and have ultimate editorial oversight on YOUR blog. BUTT, my friend I would not lose sight of the old axiom that "the customer is always right" i.e. categorizing the expression "pi__ ed off" as vulgar is a rather parochial even puritanical, oversight on your part...Reminiscent of the liberal "oversight" of conservative comment on current social media. Can we say, the loss of freedom of speech. A hunting forum is for "rough men that stand ready to do violent things so that [ soft ] people can sleep peaceably" ..on their cots clutching their bear spray. Len you would not have melded well with the football locker rooms nor pilot ready rooms I matured in. Your "sensitivities" [ and thus Rules ] are a little too sensitive for me. Butt, I'm just a customer.
In my opinion, one has to keep a tight rein to keep "it" from getting out of hand. Spent my career working in the Oilfield where sailers would be embarrassed by the language, However once I entered the corporate side, different audience! Just saying! Keep it clean

We have an elk camp that we and a dedicated 16 foot trailer that we keep it in. We've been improving the camp for over thirty years. We have three 12x17 wall tents that Montana Canvas custom made for us. Two bedroom tents, and one we call the lodge tent with a 12 foot "cook shack" that was also made by Montana Canvas.

One of the first things we learned was that cots are unsatisfactory in cold weather. My wife covered four inch foam pads, and now each hunter has 8 inches of foam to sleep on. We all have big rectangular sleeping bags that keep us comfortable even at -12 degrees. We have 3 Riley Wrangler wood stoves and 4 Benzomatic TS4000 propane torches that make starting a fire a snap. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-TS4000T-Trigger-Start-Torch-Head-TS4000T/202185055

We also have 2 Camp Chef propane stoves, a two burner and a three burner. They are worth their weight in gold.

I cook with Dutch ovens also, and for that we have a collapsible awning with three sides to protect the ovens from wind, rain, and snow.

Life in camp revolves around tables and chairs.View attachment 146683

Bill, Wow, you're hired! Some great tips as always. Storage and organization is always important. We've started using these mesh organizers. Hang wet clothes on a line or rope and they end up on the floor. Put them in the mesh deal and they stay put. Also you can see what's in there easily

Boots

Attachments

• mesh.jpg
    mesh.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20190825-190444_Gallery-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20190825-190444_Gallery-01.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 128
  • 20190328_150803-01 (1).jpeg
    20190328_150803-01 (1).jpeg
    114.6 KB · Views: 112
I don't get it... You guys just go in the bucket? Then uou take the bucket with you? Or does it go over a hole and then you bury it? I'm lost...

We also have other refinements. We have a Honda 2200 generator, a flat screen tv, and a Verizon "Tail Gater", an automatic satellite antenna and receiver. We can watch Boise State games and the World Series and Fox News during deer and elk season.

We also have a Bivouac Buddy shower in its own room attached to the Lodge Tent.

And we got of bunch of hooks from Montana Canvas that work much better than coat hangers. We use them in all the tents.

We have a Ladie's room, and a Men's room.

I can cook a fancy meal for 15 people in camp, easier than I can at home. When camp is set up, we refer to the trailer as "Costco".

It takes a day to put up, then a little more time to tighten everything up. And a day to take it all down. Then about a month to make sure everything is cleaned and repacked, and the tents are put away DRY.

If any of you guys are interested in wall tents, contact Curt Heinert at Montana Canvas.

https://montanacanvas.com/

I recommend having a tent made with 12 oz. canvas, get the seperate floor and rain fly, and a set of his best tent poles. Also you can get a 12 foot "cook shack" and poles and rainfly for that too. Our cook shack is made of Realite, a synthetic material.

I usually take the normal propane cook stove and wood camp stove like most but one thing I've found to be really handy is a little propane heater I set up within reach of my bedroll. My camp stove doesn't keep the tent warm till morning even stoked full so it really helps motivating me to get out of my nice warm bedroll if I fire the heater up about five minutes before to take the edge off. Keeps me from being tempted to sleep in and waste precious time behind the glass.

We also have other refinements. We have a Honda 2200 generator, a flat screen tv, and a Verizon "Tail Gater", an automatic satellite antenna and receiver. We can watch Boise State games and the World Series and Fox News during deer and elk season.

We also have a Bivouac Buddy shower in its own room attached to the Lodge Tent.

And we got of bunch of hooks from Montana Canvas that work much better than coat hangers. We use them in all the tents.

We have a Ladie's room, and a Men's room.

I can cook a fancy meal for 15 people in camp, easier than I can at home. When camp is set up, we refer to the trailer as "Costco".

It takes a day to put up, then a little more time to tighten everything up. And a day to take it all down. Then about a month to make sure everything is cleaned and repacked, and the tents are put away DRY.
Is this a hunting camp or a partying get away from the wives camp ?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts