Vectronix Terrapin PLRF (rated to 2625 Yards)

ELR Researcher

I have been looking for an excellent-quality, well-reviewed, portable laser range finder (PLRF) with rated capability beyond 2000 yards. I settled on a Vectronix Terrapin, which is rated for 2400 meters (2625 yards) - specs at Vectronix > HOME (brochure link in the lower right). I then set out to find a decent price. MANY resellers later I was getting the feeling tha Vectronix had the reseller price locked at $1995. Fortunately I then ran across a forum post (not on LRH) that mentioned a primarily government-only reseller, Potomac River Group (Vectronix Terrapin Pocket Laser Rangefinder). They have Terrapins in stock at $1825 plus $20 for shipping. I ordered mine this morning and thought I'd pass along the info for others that might be in a similar situation.

Good shooting!

Potomac River will aslo give you a current /andor former military discount. Makes their price the best out there.

JeffVN

I had my Vectronix Terrapin on the range Saturday. I was sitting on a stool and had the unit on my lap. It fell off my lap and hit the concrete the unit broke and I am in the process of sending the unit back to Vectronix. I was extremely disappointed this mill speck range finder failed after a 2 foot fall.

TH:

Sorry to hear about your mishap. Is Vectronix covering the repair? Spec says tested to 40 g.

Anyone know of a cover for the Terrapin? I see that it comes with a strap, and there are rubber covers available for the PLRF25, but my Internet search turned up no hits for a cover for the Terrapin. I'd certainly be interested in a cover similar to the one available for the 25.

I had my Vectronix Terrapin on the range Saturday. I was sitting on a stool and had the unit on my lap. It fell off my lap and hit the concrete the unit broke and I am in the process of sending the unit back to Vectronix. I was extremely disappointed this mill speck range finder failed after a 2 foot fall.

Sorry to hear that, but can you explain what broke so we can all be careful?

Thx
Elmer

The electronic reading inside the unit broke. Normally it reads underneath the cross hair. It was not reading at all I was receiving 3 dashes that looked like this --- at an angel above the cross hair. Also something inside the unit was rattling which tells me something broke. Ill report back once I receive word from the manufacter.

The electronic reading inside the unit broke. Normally it reads underneath the cross hair. It was not reading at all I was receiving 3 dashes that looked like this --- at an angel above the cross hair. Also something inside the unit was rattling which tells me something broke. Ill report back once I receive word from the manufacter.

OOPs hope its not that delicate, that's all we need being on a hunt and dropping it.
Thanks
Elmer

well researcher thanks got mine today . hell good price and overnight shipping !! i asked garret at potomac about the covers nothing that he knows of . he did say if you ever have a problem that they will take care of it ..

Bubba:

Glad to pass the word. I also received mine this week.

BTW, I inquired of Garret (at PRG Defense) whether they could also provide the "Kestrel 4500 NV Ballistics Weather Tracker™ with Horus® ATrag® Software" and they ordered one for me - $580 shipped, which is less than Kestrel or Horus direct. Again, the only folks that I could find that are discounting this product. That noted, their price on the base Kestrel 4500 NV can be bettered elsewhere (like thru Amazon).

I received mine a few weeks ago and have been very pleased ranging
past 2000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.