First time shooting to 2100 yards

Tumbleweed

Well, I got a chance to get out and shoot some ELR recently. I thought I would share the experience with you guys as I was pretty tickled. I've shoot out to 1400 yards quite a bit but that's been about as far as I can shoot on the farm I live on.
My rifle is a Straight Shooter Supply full custom R700 300 RUM. It has a custom, match throat for speed and a 32" Broughton 5C barrel. The current glass on top is a Burris Veracity 3-15 with zero stop pin removed. I run Berger 230 Hybrids at 3210fps with a boat load of H50BMG. Accuracy is .3 or better.
As mentioned before I've done a lot of long shooting with this set up but I really wanted to stretch it out to see what it (and I) were capable of. I found a spot up in the mountains that I thought would work great. Without a rangefinder that will read that far I used Google Earth to measure the distance...2100 yards on the button.

My son and I road in on motorcycles and hiked down the ridge with some paint to mark the rock face I would be shooting into. It was a little hairy but I got a nice 1 MOA white square with orange perimeter painted on the rock face.
I chose an evening about 2 hours before dark to do the shooting as I knew the wind would almost be non existent and the sun would be shining directly onto my target for good visibility for impacts. I brought along my sons and a cousin to help spot for me, I wanted to make sure we could see impacts...I wanted witnesses too!

I opened up Shooter and plugged all of my inputs in including Coriolis. Shooter called for 68.2 MOA. I knew I didn't have quite enough up in my scope so I used 14.4 MOA in my reticle and dialed the other 53.7 MOA in the scope. Shooter called for 1.5 MOA left for spin drift. As I was set up watching for wind and lift I decided I had a whisk of breeze coming from R to L. First shot would be a dead on hold with no spin drift held.
The first shot broke clean and 3.4 seconds later I saw impact directly under my target 1.5 MOA low. I quickly dialed up another 1.5 MOA and sent another...this time to see impact directly above 1 MOA high. Then I knew what was going on...up and downdraft air currents. I returned my scope to it's original dope (which was spot on all along) and watched conditions for a minute. The next shot landed in the upper orange perimeter and the following shot was just under the lower orange perimeter. I knew I needed conditions to calm just a bit as I could not see the up/downward currents on the far side of the canyon to be able to compensate.

Shot 5 landed dead center about .4 MOA high of center. Shots 6 and 7 were just on the fringes of the perimeter again. I decided to fire one last round which absolutely dead centered my target taking big chunks of shale rock out with it.
I have to say, it was pretty amazing watching impact at those distances and seeing how impressive the 230 Bergers performed at that distance. I honestly wasn't expecting those kind of results inside of 8 rounds. All impacts were perfectly vertical with no horizontal at all, just the vertical spread caused from up/down wind drafts shooting over 3 ridges.
I may not ever shoot this far again but it's cool being able to do it successfully and have the bragging rights:)

Photos should show below if I did it right. If not, I'll try uploading again.

IMG_1327.JPG
IMG_1331.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.