300WSM @ 1250 yards

dragman

Got the 300wsm out long this weekend. shooting the 215 hybrids @ 3030fps. I used the chrono speed to get close on the white board in the picture. Then hit the Yellow ball I have hanging 2 out of 3 shots. That ball is 6" so I am very with it as the 3rd shot didn't look very far off.
This load is one of those funny ones that doesn't shoot that great @ 100 yards only around .3 for group, but stabilizes around 200 and does great from there on out. I don't have a place to get too 1760 really want to see what it can do at that distance.

Attachments

• 300WSM 1.jpg
    300WSM 1.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 300WSM.jpg
    300WSM.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 300WSM2.jpg
    300WSM2.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 300WSM3.jpg
    300WSM3.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 23
10" model L bat action right bolt right port
Bat 20MOA rail
Jewel trigger with bottom safety about 3 ounces
30" Broughton 10 twist 1.350-1"
Master-class thumbhole stock (with lots of clear coat)
Nightforce rings
Sightron 10-50X60LRTD with Vortec level.

I recently switched this gun from shooting 190's. they out shoot the 215's @ 100 but I wanted something that would give me a little more snot out long.

Keep bragging about your groups at that range and some of the Pennsylvania bench rest shooters will jump on you! :rolleyes:

That is a sweet looking rig and some very nice shooting. Can you get shots on game out that far where you live?

I am running RL17 in it.

I know them bench rest guys and yes they get all emotional about groups lol. I am a bench rest guy at heart too, but the paper just doesn't do it for me. I shoot ridgway VBR it's a steel shoot with 40 targets it's much more my speed.

Yes, on the properties I hunt I can get 1405 as an absolute max right now and that is hard gotta be just the right setup. 1300 and under is the normal for targets and I just cant seem to get those groundhogs to get out where it's real far. only one hog so far this year 871 yards.

I have been looking for a load recipe for the same bullet and powder as you are using, but have been unable to. Do you mind sharing your load recipe?

Is this rifle a steel/paper rifle or do you hunt with it? I refuse to use Alliant powders in anything after the experience I had with their product AND their people.

Also, what BC are you using? G1 or G7, and has it been accurate for you? I run the same bullet with the G7 and it has been spot on out to 1,460 yards?

Steel target and ground hogs. I just sold the rifle to my friend though he just loved it so much I had too. I use the g7 it was close but not perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.