Upgrade press too what?

I'm using a Hollywood Tool & Die single stage press that I got from an uncle in 1974... I believe he purchased it in the late 40's or early 50's. It makes nice, concentric ammo with quality dies. I guess it's an antique but what a press! You can find one on ebay now & then and they are kind of pricey so if I needed to replace it I'd go with a co-ax. Just one man's opinion...

hey guys I'm currently looking to upgrade my press. I've been using a Lee Challenger press for about 8 years but I'm thinking I want an upgrade. What presses are you all running? I would like to keep things simple with a single stage press. I reload for 5.56 through .300 Win mag.
Forster Co-Ax....

hey guys I'm currently looking to upgrade my press. I've been using a Lee Challenger press for about 8 years but I'm thinking I want an upgrade. What presses are you all running? I would like to keep things simple with a single stage press. I reload for 5.56 through .300 Win mag.
I recently purchased the RCBS Summit press and it is a very good piece of equipment.

Check out the link above its a review on all the presses out there that I can think of and the RCBS Rock chucker placed really high like second in making great ammo. The guy is nearding out on the presses but its some science behind the way he did it.

I got three right now, co-ax, rock chucker, and Redding big boss 2. I like co ax the best but I like the big boss the best on large stuff.
E5195085-CA11-480D-AEF0-0DCF718ABA8F.jpeg

There are plenty of good/strong presses that don't deflect a few thousandths when sizing big cases, there are others that do. so in my opinion the way to find out how yours is doing you must first check for concentricity

The best way is to check a fired round and find one that has no run out. then mark this case and size it. Then check it again. depending on the procedure and the press you are using you will/may find that now you have .002 to .006 thousandths run out. This will indicate
that your press or your procedure Is experiencing problems.

If you don't find any run out at this point, go ahead and load the case with primer, powder and bullet. Once again check it for run out and at this point if there IS run out, your bullet seating process has problems
and you can work on improving that part.

Even though you are not loading big magnum cases, the biggest and strongest press will address the flexing problem but it will not eliminate load procedure problems.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme that will load everything up to the 50 BMG with ease. I also purchased the Forester Co Ax for loading the smaller cases with finesse.

You don't realy need two presses to load excellent ammo But one will do some things better than the other, so I wanted to try to get the best of both worlds.

Get the strongest for more consistency.

J E CUSTOM

There are plenty of good/strong presses that don't deflect a few thousandths when sizing big cases, there are others that do. so in my opinion the way to find out how yours is doing you must first check for concentricity

The best way is to check a fired round and find one that has no run out. then mark this case and size it. Then check it again. depending on the procedure and the press you are using you will/may find that now you have .002 to .006 thousandths run out. This will indicate
that your press or your procedure Is experiencing problems.

If you don't find any run out at this point, go ahead and load the case with primer, powder and bullet. Once again check it for run out and at this point if there IS run out, your bullet seating process has problems
and you can work on improving that part.

Even though you are not loading big magnum cases, the biggest and strongest press will address the flexing problem but it will not eliminate load procedure problems.

I have an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme that will load everything up to the 50 BMG with ease. I also purchased the Forester Co Ax for loading the smaller cases with finesse.

You don't realy need two presses to load excellent ammo But one will do some things better than the other, so I wanted to try to get the best of both worlds.

Get the strongest for more consistency.

J E CUSTOM

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme has also been a winner. Another is The Frankford Arsenal Single Stage Co-Axial which I think is a spin-off of the older Ponsness Warren design. The Forester Co-Axial is top of the line as well... Actually, I can't see anything wrong with RCBS Summit press, I don't need one but I've been thinking about picking one up, just a lot of good choices out there. Of course, there's always Harrell's Precision Combo press. :) Cheer's

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme has also been a winner. Another is The Frankford Arsenal Single Stage Co-Axial which I think is a spin-off of the older Ponsness Warren design. The Forester Co-Axial is top of the line as well... Actually, I can't see anything wrong with RCBS Summit press, I don't need one but I've been thinking about picking one up, just a lot of good choices out there. Of course, there's always Harrell's Precision Combo press. :) Cheer's

I've been using a RCBS Summit for about 5 months now and it really does a fine job. It took some getting used to with the die doing the moving but I really like it now. I only load .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor but I shoot bench rest and it is extremely accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.