Upgrade press too what?

Forster Co-Ax for my precision loads and Dillon XL 650 for volume loads. Love it. My next press will be a 21st Century Shooting Hydro Press.

I have an old Lyman All American Turret Press I purchased from a co-worker back in 1993. I don't know how old it is, but if I was to purchase a new one today, probably a Redding T7 or maybe the CO-AX by Forster.

I have been rolling mine in a Redding Big Boss for years and have no issues with it what so ever. Based on all the good reports I have thought of getting the Forster Coax myself. There's to many good reports of it to discount.

But going from a single stage to another single stage press seems like it wont make much difference in the long run. The RCBS Summit looks intriguing but again its single stage.

If I am going to upgrade I think its going to be Redding T7 being able to leave the dies in the turret and change out turrets just seems like a serious upgrade to me. Especially so if you do or plan on doing a lot of reloading.

Good luck and soot straight y'all.

Got a rockchucker that's late 90's vintage, I noticed some slop when the ram is fully extended .009-.010 to be exact and it doesn't produce very concentric ammo. Works great never a problem and I see it ranks pretty good in the 14 press evaluation. My seaters (forester and redding ) are good but cases necks are tweaked some even using graphite when resizing. Probably will keep the old girl but its time for either a Summit or Co Ax, thought I had it decided but still pondering after seeing that summit breaking like that. Summit is $200 and in stock while co ax is $320-340 and backordered at the six suppliers I deal with. I have seen a few posts where the summit wasn't liked, hard to find any where the co ax isn't loved. If you make a list of the runout numbers from the comparison the summit is the best while the rockchucker runs second. Then its the redding and finally the co ax at forth. But this is one comparison and one persons results so to speak. I just can't get the pic out of my head of that broken summit, also a lot of posts where a person has several presses and gets a co ax and says don't use the others much anymore. We do naturally gravitate to what we like, will say this forum sure offers a wealth of info and opinions if you look and listen, and theres just too many co ax users and likers out there to go wrong. I do follow JE Custom's post's as he's a fellow concentricity chaser like myself. Cold and snowy up here so I got time to wait on a co ax and do it right. Thanks to all for opinions and honesty. Dave

Last edited:
Something says I have already commented on this thread, but I can not help look through the responses and see all the varying responses.
I have a different response to the accuracy and volume.. I am utterly impressed with the Dillon XL-750. they fixed the three huge failures of the XL-650. I own two RL-550's and a Super-1050. I am thinking about getting rid of two my other dillons and buying 2 XL-750's
I learned on a 1950's C&H H-press. it's still with me but I do not use it at all except for 25 ACP, 5.7X28, and 32 ACP.
if I need precision; I lock down my shell plate on my RL-550 and it turns it into a very tough huge "O-press". I get the same consentricity as my single stage friends. I figure that if I can get that precision then why buy a single stage press. IF, and I mean IF I was to buy a single stage press I would buy a Redding Big Boss II. I might think about a T-7 Turret press as well. I like Turrets and they are more functional and adaptable than any O-press/single stage. now, to address the brand issue people might think I have. I do not. I have found that Redding has a better press than RCBS and Forester. I have used the Co-Ax and felt it lacks several things. RCBS's quality has been lacking for a couple of decades now. the Iron press from Hornady is also in the running for a great single stage press. Yes, I have tried out every press I either do not like or like in this post. if I have not used a press; I will not toss an opinion on it. as for lee, I have owned and given away them all. I do not recommend Lee in any shape, form or product. they are totally inferior to every thing I have ever tried.
I honestly do not care whom likes or does not like my opinions. they are mine and I own every one of them. WE ALL have our demands of our equipment, we all have out preferences on options, out hierarchy of features and options. No two reloaders agree on any piece or peoples of equipment. I know this, I accept this, I encourage disagreement. It means we are all free thinking people. What I might not like, someone out there will think it's God's gift. that is okay with me. when it comes to money and getting equipment we all have to believe we are getting the best for our hard earned dollar.

I`ve lerked around here for a bit before actually deciding to join. Wow, there`s ALOT of information in this thread! I see alot of seasoned reloaders giving great reviews and opinions too, and thats what is needed for folks. I`m new to this site, but a very well seasoned (50yrs of reloading) reloader. But from what i`m seeing on this site, i just know i`m gonna learn something i didnt know before. I`m pretty old, but i`m always hungry for more reloading information.

All i can add is, is that i still own the very first hornady progressive press they came out with back in the 80`s, and it is still crankin ammo out to this day. Once i got it all dialed in, i`ve only had to tune it once again since. I`ve loaded THOUSANDS of rounds on it. As far as hornadys warranty and customer service, i had to call them last week... i bought a set of their 223 upper end die sets, and i get home and opened the box, the seater plug wasnt in the die set. I called hornady first thing monday. They answered right away, they were very nice on the phone. The young lady asked how she could help me. I told her the bullet seater plug was missing. She took my address, said she`d ship it out the same day. I get the package in the mail a few days later, and there were 2 seater plugs in the package. One was the standard 22 bullet seater that was missing from my die set, the other one was the new 22 ELD seater plug, and a nice apology written to me. Dosent get much better than that! I also have hornadys classic single stage LNL press. That is a great press as well. I only use that press to pop out primers before they go into the Frankfort wet tumbler.

I also have a Redding T7, bough that back sometime in the 90`s. Runs like a swiss watch still to this very day. Couple years ago, i bought the Redding BigBossII press. I will never part with it, it is a fantastic single stage press. The runout is perfect, as there is hardly any at all. The BigBossII is an animal of a press. It will size anything you can put in it. I made a spring loaded case ejector for it. My case ejector works awesome. It took one step right out of the process for me. Maybe someday when i have more time, i`ll put up a post on my case ejector and step by step with how you can make one like it. You will never believe how slick this thing works. Its just a simple round spring mounted to the press base with a piece of angle iron. I`ve seen all the others out there using a flat radiator hose clamp, but i never like them, as they are not easy to move out of the way when you dont need it. Mine flips over out of the way. Springs right back into position when you need it by just flipping the spring over back over the shell holder. It has a rubber tip so that it will never scratch your brass. And its super quiet.

Redding`s customer service is spot on. Years ago, i had a 22-250 neck die that didnt seem right. Being that Redding is a few minutes from my house, i called them, the guy on the phone said come on over, lets check that die out. Went there, took me right in, checked the die, he said the die is close enough in spec, but he wasn`t happy enough with it, here`s a brand new neck die for you. Never charged me a dime. Out the door i went, happy as hell. Got home, loaded some 22-250, 100% perfect!

Now, with all i`ve said here, i think all the brands are doing what they are intended to do, its just that some may do it better than others. Wont know until you buy it and try it. But what i do know, is that i really like the Redding stuff. It just runs smooth and never breaks.

I`m now looking into the new Dillon XL750. Maybe by summer i might pull the handle and buy one. But for right now, i want to see more reviews on them before i jump in it. I`m hoping those of you that bought them post your reviews in here.

Ok i`m done babbling ;)

I used a rcbs for few years...it was used when i bought it...had a second one for recapping...sold one...danged if i didn't sell the smooth one....the one I have has a hitch in it get up...always needing squirts of oil to smooth out for a whiles use...then again next time....
Bought a Mac for finish loading....really smooth operation..big window...like it much....

Occasionally mine gets a little resistance and I've found that LockEase graphite spray lube does the trick and won't attract grime like oil.

Glad your here,Welcome and enjoy ,nice post and info thks n Cheers
:) Thank you, i`m glad i finally joined... looks like a really nice site. I`ve given up on many other forums recently, thats what brought me back over to this one. People seem to want to help others more here rather than be turds and argue.

I also wanted to add... i`ve never owned a RCBS rock chucker, but my brother does, its a 1975 model year, and that press just cranks the ammo out flawlessly. I got nothing to say bad about the chucker`, its an outstanding press that he has. My brother also said, the new ones aren`t near as good as the old ones. I take his word as gold, he knows what he`s talking about.

Got a rockchucker that's late 90's vintage, I noticed some slop when the ram is fully extended .009-.010 to be exact and it doesn't produce very concentric ammo. Works great never a problem and I see it ranks pretty good in the 14 press evaluation. My seaters (forester and redding ) are good but cases necks are tweaked some even using graphite when resizing. Probably will keep the old girl but its time for either a Summit or Co Ax, thought I had it decided but still pondering after seeing that summit breaking like that. Summit is $200 and in stock while co ax is $320-340 and backordered at the six suppliers I deal with. I have seen a few posts where the summit wasn't liked, hard to find any where the co ax isn't loved. If you make a list of the runout numbers from the comparison the summit is the best while the rockchucker runs second. Then its the redding and finally the co ax at forth. But this is one comparison and one persons results so to speak. I just can't get the pic out of my head of that broken summit, also a lot of posts where a person has several presses and gets a co ax and says don't use the others much anymore. We do naturally gravitate to what we like, will say this forum sure offers a wealth of info and opinions if you look and listen, and theres just too many co ax users and likers out there to go wrong. I do follow JE Custom's post's as he's a fellow concentricity chaser like myself. Cold and snowy up here so I got time to wait on a co ax and do it right. Thanks to all for opinions and honesty. Dave
I've used a Summit for about a year now, extremely accurate with Redding dies, love mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.