Upgrade press too what?

I've been using a RCBS Summit for about 5 months now and it really does a fine job. It took some getting used to with the die doing the moving but I really like it now. I only load .223 and 6.5 Creedmoor but I shoot bench rest and it is extremely accurate.

I'm sure you will get many opinions on which is the best press and unfortunately you can't try them all, you just have to go with someone's opinion.

I use a Co-Ax and love it for my long range stuff. I don't load real long cartridges but you may want to check the through if you do.
Also use a 550 for volume and pistols.
Have used the rockchucker and I prefer the Co-Ax.

38E21BEB-A582-4FE2-AA63-3EC2F8633786.jpeg
Here is a photo of the broken press

It is a little more money than the Rock Chucker but well worth it!

Yikes! I was thinking about picking one up, I think I'll give RCBS a call and ask them about braking problems now. Was that on the up or down stroke? What cartridge were you loading when it happened. I told Elkeater, I'd like to pick one up, suggesting he might think along those same lines for a new press. Can't wait to hear what RCBS says.

I have the following
Lyman Tong Tool .38/357 and 11mm Mauser
Rock Chucker from the late 60's
Dillon 550 when I started shooting IPSC
Dillon 1050 I from the late '90's

would never give up the RCBS!!!!!

That looks like a casting flaw to break like that. They should replace it with no problems. Don't know how it broke, but It will be interesting to find out. I have never seen "Any" press break.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

It is a little more money than the Rock Chucker but well worth it!
I have the following
Lyman Tong Tool .38/357 and 11mm Mauser
Rock Chucker from the late 60's
Dillon 550 when I started shooting IPSC
Dillon 1050 I from the late '90's

would never give up the RCBS!!!!!
That looks like a casting flaw to break like that. They should replace it with no problems. Don't know how it broke, but It will be interesting to find out. I have never seen "Any" press break.

Good luck

J E CUSTOM

If they are going to replace the press, I'd ask them to use that press as a trade-in and get a Rockchucker Supreme press instead. I'm thinking it's more of a design flaw than a casting weakness, although it could be the casting; then agian if that casting broke how about another one breaking also?

hey guys I'm currently looking to upgrade my press. I've been using a Lee Challenger press for about 8 years but I'm thinking I want an upgrade. What presses are you all running? I would like to keep things simple with a single stage press. I reload for 5.56 through .300 Win mag.
This is the best comparison I have seen or heard of. The top performer(s) just might surprise you and other folks. Not who I thought, I run the RCBS Special 5, a bit smaller than the Rock Chucker, but just as precise. The one that so many taut as superior, did not prove to be so when put to serious testing. Here is one that did not get tested the looks might fine...http://harrellsprec.com/index.php

Last edited:
This is the best comparison I have seen or heard of. The top performer(s) just might surprise you and other folks. Not who I thought, I run the RCBS Special 5, a bit smaller than the Rock Chucker, but just as precise. The one that so many taut as superior, did not prove to be so when put to serious testing. Here is one that did not get tested the looks might fine...http://harrellsprec.com/index.php

Great video, thanks for sharing this extremely comprehensive video. I am in the market for a new press, presently my press is a Rockchucker and many, many, many rounds through. I'm thinking the RCBS Rockchuker Supreme is on the horizon.

hey guys I'm currently looking to upgrade my press. I've been using a Lee Challenger press for about 8 years but I'm thinking I want an upgrade. What presses are you all running? I would like to keep things simple with a single stage press. I reload for 5.56 through .300 Win mag.
I have 4 presses and since I got my Forster Coax I haven't touched the other 3. Spend the extra money and don't look back.

Geez! I've never seen a broken press of any kind before. What were you doing with it when it broke. I did bend a pin on the compound lever on a used Baire press I picked up whe I was in college in the early 70's. It was my fault. I tried to form some brass and asked the press to do something it wasn't designed for. As soon as I could afford it, I bought a Rock Chucker and it did everything I tried to do on it and it's still going strong although I do most of my reloading on my Dillon 550 and 650. I'd be interested in finding out the design stress fail point on a rock chucker. I would have thought that something on the compound lever would fail before press body.

Yikes! I was thinking about picking one up, I think I'll give RCBS a call and ask them about braking problems now. Was that on the up or down stroke? What cartridge were you loading when it happened. I told Elkeater, I'd like to pick one up, suggesting he might think along those same lines for a new press. Can't wait to hear what RCBS says.
It was on the up stroke Both times doing 270. Cartridges they sent me another 2 replacement parts

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.