Press upgrade question.

Ive been using a Lee Classic since I started reloading. It has served me well.
but now im loading for multiple calibers, and i am trying to load my 300wsm for long range accuracy.
depriming, full length sizing or sometimes neck sizing, bullet seating, and using a lee crimp die.
so i am constantly changing dies, and i fear my consistency is impacted, especially if i dont get the die threaded to the exact same depth in the press.
is there a press that would allow me to have all the dies i need for a caliber, threaded to the sweet spot, and all i have to do is change a plate, and maintain the consistency?
reloading for me is not about speed, or bullets per hour....i still tweeze powder grains to the nearest .010grain.
so i dont need the powder funnel accessories, etc, i just want to stop changing dies for every step If possible.
appreciate your suggestion! Thx in advance!
Lee and Hornady have a lock ring system for dies that allows you to change dies in seconds. Check it out, the ring looks the die in place.

I run a mec with locknload bushings as well. However area419 has a new turret press and it's a freaking beauty, no doubt it'll be north of 800$ I bet. But it's beautiful!
I watched the Area 419 video on their new press it is massive and I think more like 1200.00 but very precise. But they aren't for sale yet may come down in price but Area 419 stuff is expensive.
I have run a Redding T7 for around 4 yrs now and I really like it.

What does your concentric measuring devices say? Either you have a problem or you don't....it's a measurable thing.

Just like everything else in life people are going to recommend what they have or what they want. Truth is most of the presses on the market produce concentric ammo.

I have a Rock Chucker and a Co-Ax. The Co-Ax is my most used press. Not because it's better but because it's more convenient and not as messy with primers.

I use a Rock Chucker Supreme for my precision reloading with rings locked to the depth I wan them. I use a Lee Turret press for pistol ammo. .223. etc. Works for me.

Get a Dillon and be done with it. I've owned and used a RCBS Rockchucker for over forty years. I bought my first Dillon 450 inthe early 80's and upgraded it to the 550 and later to the 550B. I have since bought another 550B and a 650. My Rockchucker has since be relegated to mostly case forming and trimming. All my loading is done on my Dillons. When I want to weigh individual loads I still do it on my 550. I size, deprime, and prime on station one. Station two has a die body that secures the powder funnel so I move the case there, weigh the powder, dump it, move to station three, seat the bullet, and move to to station four and crimp if necessary. Or after you prime, move the cases to a tray and weigh all powder charges and then put them in station two or three to seat the bullet.I try to use ball, flake or fine grain powder as much as possible. The Dillon powder measure is surprisingly accurate with these powders.I use my 650 mostly for high quanity reloading for pistol or .223 because of the case feeder. I believe that the 550 is more versatile and if I can only have one, that's the what I would have. IMHO.

Get a Dillon and be done with it. I've owned and used a RCBS Rockchucker for over forty years. I bought my first Dillon 450 inthe early 80's and upgraded it to the 550 and later to the 550B. I have since bought another 550B and a 650. My Rockchucker has since be relegated to mostly case forming and trimming. All my loading is done on my Dillons. When I want to weigh individual loads I still do it on my 550. I size, deprime, and prime on station one. Station two has a die body that secures the powder funnel so I move the case there, weigh the powder, dump it, move to station three, seat the bullet, and move to to station four and crimp if necessary. Or after you prime, move the cases to a tray and weigh all powder charges and then put them in station two or three to seat the bullet.I try to use ball, flake or fine grain powder as much as possible. The Dillon powder measure is surprisingly accurate with these powders.I use my 650 mostly for high quanity reloading for pistol or .223 because of the case feeder. I believe that the 550 is more versatile and if I can only have one, that's the what I would have. IMHO.
Totally agree. I started with the 550 and now have a 1050 (not super) for most of my pistol calibers and .223. Changing calibers on the 550 is simple (even simpler if the shell plate is the same).

I totally agree with @JuddL on this. If you're not measuring any change in your ammo, then what are you worried about. You're just creating problems that don't exist unless you have evidence and proof your dies, press, technique, etc. is causing you problems. Having a T7 and 4 heads for it with the dies never leaving them sounds like more of a pain keeping track of all of that opposed to grabbing the die box labeled with what you want to load and threading it down to the lock ring until it stops. When stops ie. die locking rings and the top of the press are used correctly, there's very very little to no deviation in tolerance. I'm a machinist and use stops and fixtures routinely and don't have any issue with repeatability when things are setup correctly.

Last edited:
I'm surprised the Co Ax wasnt recommend more. Easy change of dies is the #1 reason I bought it. It's highly repeatable and fast. If the T7 doesnt work for the OP, I'd definitely suggest pursuing the CoAx.

I bought a T-7 press about 4-5 years ago and I've grown to really like it. It's very handy to have expander mandrel dies set up for different rifles. It also comes to use for specialty dies that won't fit in my Co-Ax. The only con is being able to get a hex tool into the limited space on the plate.

I still seat on the Co-Ax and resize on the Big Boss 2 and a Rock Chucker.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.