Press upgrade question.

Fishdeeper

Ive been using a Lee Classic since I started reloading. It has served me well.
but now im loading for multiple calibers, and i am trying to load my 300wsm for long range accuracy.
depriming, full length sizing or sometimes neck sizing, bullet seating, and using a lee crimp die.
so i am constantly changing dies, and i fear my consistency is impacted, especially if i dont get the die threaded to the exact same depth in the press.
is there a press that would allow me to have all the dies i need for a caliber, threaded to the sweet spot, and all i have to do is change a plate, and maintain the consistency?
reloading for me is not about speed, or bullets per hour....i still tweeze powder grains to the nearest .010grain.
so i dont need the powder funnel accessories, etc, i just want to stop changing dies for every step If possible.
appreciate your suggestion! Thx in advance!

I have a single stage RCBS JR. and I change out all of my dies all of the time. I don't have a problem with my dies remaining consistent. I just utilize the lock rings and don't adjust anything or mess with them once they're set.

You can upgrade the Lee dies with lock rings that permanently lock like the Redding, RCBS, Hornady, etc. and they're only a few bucks a piece. I can understand what you're worried about, but if you have that lock ring on there good and tight, that flat surface of the ring is going to bottom out on the flat surface of your press. It's going to be consistent every time as long as the lock ring is tight and can't move. Just run your dies down and make them finger tight in the press. That's all you need to do to have consistency.

If you want to double check things, get a set of comparator gauges and check your base to ogive on your loaded rounds. Also get the Hornady head space comparators and check how much your sizing your brass. Write those numbers down when you finalize your load and just check them every time you load a new batch. That will give you piece of mind.

ok, so i need a Turret press, with extra turret plates, and lock rings on all my dies.
no one seems to have the Redding T-7 in stock...will do some searching.
thanks for the advice!

i have a set of ogive comparator gauges, and the headspace gauge...i check every shell.

I think a system like Hornady Lock-n-Load in an "O" type press is probably going to be more repeatable than swapping press turrets.

The only caveat is that heavy case resizing might be too much force for those bushings. Its probably better to screw in a die to neck down, neck up or bump shoulders back a bunch.

Lee Breach Lock is probably stronger than Lock-n-Load for heavy sizing but I don't think you can retrofit an RCBS press to Breach Lock.

The reason why I say this is that turret presses are nearly all "C" style presses where the force of the ram is flexing the die holder (turret) out of alignment. Some of the Lee turret presses that hold the turret with 3-4 threaded studs are more like "O" presses but they seem to have other issues.

100% get those comparators and digital calipers. There is nothing that will make you more consistent than seeing when your dimensions go off.

Definitely a Turret press, the one I use is an old Lyman All American Turret press, it is old the color on it is Red, I am not sure which decade it was built, but thinking it was in the 80's. The only thing I don't like about it, it only has four stations for dies. If I was buying a new press today, it would be either the Redding Turret or I would go with the Forster CO-AX press, both are about the same in price.

I simply bought the Hornady lock and load press bushing replacement kit for both my Rock Chucker and My MEC marksman. all of the dies are set spot on. Just quarter turn them and their out, and quarter turn turn and the new one is in. Never have to mess with adjusting anything, or use any tools to get solid repeatability.

I simply bought the Hornady lock and load press bushing replacement kit for both my Rock Chucker and My MEC marksman. all of the dies are set spot on. Just quarter turn them and their out, and quarter turn turn and the new one is in. Never have to mess with adjusting anything, or use any tools to get solid repeatability.
I run a mec with locknload bushings as well. However area419 has a new turret press and it's a freaking beauty, no doubt it'll be north of 800$ I bet. But it's beautiful!

Ive been using a Lee Classic since I started reloading. It has served me well.
but now im loading for multiple calibers, and i am trying to load my 300wsm for long range accuracy.
depriming, full length sizing or sometimes neck sizing, bullet seating, and using a lee crimp die.
so i am constantly changing dies, and i fear my consistency is impacted, especially if i dont get the die threaded to the exact same depth in the press.
is there a press that would allow me to have all the dies i need for a caliber, threaded to the sweet spot, and all i have to do is change a plate, and maintain the consistency?
reloading for me is not about speed, or bullets per hour....i still tweeze powder grains to the nearest .010grain.
so i dont need the powder funnel accessories, etc, i just want to stop changing dies for every step If possible.
appreciate your suggestion! Thx in advance!
Redding T7 Turret press

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts