Reloading Press Upgrade

Fire, I'm not fond of ANY "quick-change" die bushings but wonder if you rally have a problem. Unsure of what you mean about the need to tighten the dies after every two-three uses but if you mean the die in the bushing you can fix that with a wrench.

If the fact that your dies lift a tad during use is bothering you, forget it. They will ONLY lift until they hit a hard stop and that will occur with only modest pressure. And if such die lift bothers you now, DON'T get a CoAx, it works exactly that way!

The only way to really learn if you have problem is to check your ammo. Do you have a gage such as the RCBS Precision Case Mic or Hornady's bullet and shoulder devices to clamp on the jaws of a precision caliper? AND a concentricity gage like Sinclair's to confirm your bullet runout is low?

Fact is, the press is likely the least important tool we use for making good ammo, anyone with decent skills and understanding of the process can make excellant reloads on any press.

Boomtube, The die itself is not coming loose from the bushing. The die/Bushing unit is tight because of the die locking nut. However, when the die and bushing are placed in the press, they drop in vertical then twist to lock tight. It is here that they continue to loosen. I am always having to twits the die and bushing to keep it tight in the press. Like I said in my OP, It may not be a problem for some. However, I would rather not have to deal with it. Does this make the bushings and press bad? No, its a personal preference thing. I would agree that there are many things that we do that have an effect on accuracy. I'm just trying to eliminate variable at a time like everyone else.

Got to agree on the Co-Ax. All the pluses and nothing compares IMO. Makes great ammo!

no press is straiter and squarer than a Co-Ax, so your in trouble when you thread your first die in place unless you got one. During movement the ram dosn't torque in one direction or another. It simply goes strait down. The case head rests on the bolster plate of the press rather than add in any error machined into the shell holder. That to the fact that it is the most powerfull reloading press made, and you got a winner.
gary

Another vote for the Co=Ax.

Due to the way it works, it does not need to be attached to a Rock of Gibralter style bench.

I started reloading a year or two ago. I started out with the co-ax press. Some people tried to tell me that i have to have had some experience. I got it in put together and its the best press I think thats out there. Forster all the way!!!

I started reloading a year or two ago. I started out with the co-ax press. Some people tried to tell me that i have to have had some experience. I got it in put together and its the best press I think thats out there. Forster all the way!!!

I went to the NRA convention one year, and they had a row of about forty presses setup with .308 dies in them with barrels of once fired military brass. I tried just about every press in that row several times over, but kept going back to one that felt completely different than the rest. A guy walked upto me and simply said it was the best of the best out there! He went on to say that he owned more than one. His name was Bob Milek. Shortly afterwards a big tall guy walked up to us and basicly said the same thing. He was Bill Jordan. Then my hero walked by and waved at Jordan; that was Skeeter Skelton himself! Milek, basicly put handgun hunting on the map with his wildcats that he developed with Steve Herrett (he was around, but didn't see him). The following Monday I ordered in the press and have never looked over my shoulder or thought twice about it. Milek and I traded mail for several years about our handgun exploits. While I was there I did see Elmer Kieth off in the distance.

there are things I don't like about the Co-Ax design, but they have little todo with the way it works. I wish they had made the frame from magnesium with steel bushings in it, and used hollow Thompson rod to further reduce the weight without sacrificing the rigidity. The press is heavy! I also wish they'd had an option to install a blank die to allow you to use Wilson type dies in it. Also an optional riser would make things nicer for some folks (I've built three out of aluminum I-beam material). The foot print could be an inch wider on each side as well.
gary

Imagine how many Forster Co-Ax wide version presses they would sell if that is all they changed.

I agree that it would be nicer if a bit wider.

Perhaps they could use the added space for the "Blank Die", and really hit it out of the park.

I am OK with the weight as I have mine mounted semi-permanent.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.