What press for 408?

lazylabs

What press are you guys using for the 408 sized cartridges? How about presses to use at the range for at least RUM sized cases?

Thanks

you can get by with a standard rock chucker iv.I use one to load for 338 allen mag, but you have to remove the threaded brushing in the top of you press and get on for the larger dies.

I have a 375 Allen Mag headed my way very shortly. Thus I upgraded my tried and true RCBS Jr. to a Rockchucker Supreme for the task.

I have to order the bushing to hold the larger die set from RCBS. I also need a shell holder.

Any press of that Supreme's size would do the job, I would think.

The benchrest bullet makers tell me that the Lee press is aligned more precisely that the RCBS and some others. If the Lee had the size necessary it may not be a bad choice??

"The benchrest bullet makers tell me that the Lee press is aligned more precisely that the RCBS and some others. "

Aw Roy, did you just HAVE to say that? You KNOW you gonna cause the green Kool-Aid drinkers to experience heart palpations and acid reflux!!! :D

Lee says their biggest press is large/strong enough to reload .50 BMG so maybe it could deal with the 408?

(I assume by "the Lee press" you mean the excellant iron/steel Classic Cast?)

Last edited:
I have a redding ultra mag press I haven't taken the bushing out to see what the actual hole is threaded. I have the RCBS ammo master for the 50 but I really don't trust the alignment of it. I was looking at the corbin presses but they are a LOT of money for a press.

Call Kevin Cram (Montour County Rifles). He has an RCBS big max press that allot of people use for the Cheytac cases.

He has one extra for sale. It is a very sturdy press with a long throw.

I use a RCBS Big Max A4. Strong, sturdy and has perfect alignment. I found 2 of them and bought them both. I only need the one so I'd sell the other. Right now my extra one has a universal shell holder. On mine I made a 408 size shell holder to replace the universal. It has plenty of throw for the 408 size case. I'd sell my extra for $450 and if you wanted me to make a 408 size shell holder I could do that as well for a minimal fee. Here some photos of the one for sale.

RCBSA-41.jpg

RCBSA-42.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.