What Drill Press for the Bench...?

Full Curl

I'd like to get a small drill press for the bench to help with case prep. My hand and finger joints aren't getting any younger. I know I can look at the motorized case prep centers but I really just need it for quick neck cleaning work. I don't plan on trimming with it. I'm tired of using my handheld drill as well. But space is limited on the bench and I know many drill presses are rather large in size. Wondering if any of you would have a recommendation on a good, small one. I know they make some very small ones for jewelers, but didn't know if they would be too small or not. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

My son gave me an 8" drill press for Christmas that he bought at Harbor Freight. I think he got it for $59.

He has had the same one for the past two years and it will do the job on about 90% of everything he wants to drill. It will drill anything Aluminum and soft steel. On super hardened steel....it struggles. As with any drill.....quality bits go a long way.

I haven't set mine up and used it yet, but I expect to be happy with it, for what it was designed.

Sears. Mine looks just like the one posted only its black painted. Bought it 25 years ago...and it still does fine. (About $78 or so on sale at the time)

I'd like to get a small drill press for the bench to help with case prep. My hand and finger joints aren't getting any younger.I know I can look at the motorized case prep centers but I really just need it for quick neck cleaning work.I don't plan on trimming with it.I'm tired of using my handheld drill as well.But space is limited on the bench and I know many drill presses are rather large in size.Wondering if any of you would have a recommendation on a good, small one.I know they make some very small ones for jewelers, but didn't know if they would be too small or not.Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

I know you asked for a bench drill press but you might consider the Hornady Case Prep Center ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/BXV6KhvtOYU?t=150[/ame]

For what it's worth I have 2 Ryobi 10 inch presses ( home depot specials) in my work trk and they hold up fine and are certainly cheap enough.

I went with a Skill. Ordered off Amazon ~$100 delivered to my house. Very nice addition to the reloading room.

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll be sure to check these suggestions out. My hands and fingers are already thanking me.

I certainly like the smaller size of the mini posted as it would not take up much room on the bench but I would wonder if there would be enough room under the chuck to fit and work with larger cases like a 300 RUM. I'm not sure if all my hand tools would work in a 1/4" chuck or not.... so maybe the 1/2" is the safer option.

Another option you might look at is seeing if you can find a small bench top lathe for cheap. A friend of mine paid $100 for his. It's got around a 10x30 footprint. Little bigger than a drill press but a lot of versatility.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.