What is the Best Reloading Bench

HEY!!! How did he get pics of my bench??? No really, I read that artical a while back and used many of those ideas in my bench. I put mine at a level to use a chair instead of a stool which eliminates most of the storage underneath (my back says that's a good trade-off). Only mine doesn't look nearly as professional or "finished" as his. Couldn't be because of the builder...hmmm...wonder why? So far I am very pleased with it though.

Looks good

How do you attach the presses to the dovetail insertes? If i look at the plans, when you slip the insert in you only have one layer of plywood holding the press down. Is that enough?

Other than those question that looks good. Just bought a new house and have been looking for ideas for my new bench.

Willys46

There IS only one piece of plywood holding the dove tail in, one on the top and one on the dove tail itself. I used lots of glue and screws on mine; enough glue to squeeze out all the way around the opening and then screwed about every 1 1/2 inches around the opening. I haven't had a chance to really "stress-test" mine yet but it looks strong enough to be able to stand on the handle of a press. 3/4 inch plywood is some tough stuff. If there ever is a problem I will mount a "T" nut underneath and run a bolt through the dovetail at the back of the reloading press.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.