what size drill bit and tap

new shooter

What size drill bit and tap to make my 338 Lapua-imp case work in my Horanaday gauge to set my bullets were I want them to the lands. Thank for info Joe

Hornady (Stoney Point) O.A.L. Gauge
Drill Bit is 19/64 - tap is 5/16 x 36
Line i all up VERY straight - you don't want that case to enter the chamber even slightly off center.

Correct.
When you're done drilling and taping make sure you don't have a burr or ridge on the case head, which will distort your measurements.

If you have a REM 700 why don't you remove the firing pin and ejector? This method will give you a 100% more precise reading then the Hornady tool. Very, very easy to do and everything goes back just one way so no mix ups. No special tools needed. Just a coin and a small punch. Check the first part of this video, Changing a Remington 700 firing pin spring - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEn0yaNhGzw

I thought no way I can do this but, I tried it and it's so easy. My 13 year old grandson wanted to try it and honestly...He did it faster then I did!! Of course you still have to remove the ejector. Just punch out the small pin at the head of the bolt. Place your thumb on the ejector itself as you punch the pin out. Keeps the ejector for flying out. Easy to replace and it only goes in one way. I had always used the Hornady tool until I started using this method. Where I thought my bullets were just off the lands, (.015) I was actually .050 off!! Try this...You will probably never use the Hornady tool again!! Hope the link works, not very good at this computer stuff.

Check this out. Much better at showing what I was trying to type
http://www.wheeleraccuracy.com/#!information/p62ad

Hornady (Stoney Point) O.A.L. Gauge
Drill Bit is 19/64 - tap is 5/16 x 36
Line i all up VERY straight - you don't want that case to enter the chamber even slightly off center.
Best to drill and tap it in a lathe..... It's about lower in cost, in the long run, to have someone make it for you rather than buy the tooling.

I'm pretty sure the 12 or 14 different cases I've made definitely offset the cost of a $13. Tap.

If he's only making one he might be getting off cheaper.

The problem is availability of the pre-made case of a 338 Lapua Improved. I had a 300 & 338 RUM on order for months before I finally made them. I don't even know if they make a 338 Edge case, I do all my own now.

I'm sure others can add to this but a few things to remember in measuring;

Theoretically shouldn't different bullets case base to ogive measurement be the same ? Yes but your comparator and guns rifling aren't the same. Even different brands of comparators can give different measurements.

Occasionally I've had the case come loose and throw my measurements off as I tend to twist it as I put it in the chamber to make sure it is seated all the way. Be consistent in the pressure you use on the case and bullet.

Best to drill and tap it in a lathe..... It's about lower in cost, in the long run, to have someone make it for you rather than buy the tooling.

I do use my lathe so I agree; if you have access to a lathe. However, I have done it using a drill press by using a machinist square and squaring the table with the chuck/drill and then using a block (jig) to hold the case square in line with the drill bit and maintaining the same alignment for the tap. Takes a bit of time but once you've got the jig squared up to handle the work piece the rest is purely academic.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.