Update on my latest long range project...(454 Casull)

I have a FA 7.5" as well with a 2x leupold on it. I really want to take an elk with it but I cant seem to get comfortable using the scope. I can hit milk jugs at 100 yards with it but not confident to use it on elk. Maybe a red dot is a better option? I had a BFR with a delta point on it years ago but never hunted with it. Got me thinking guys thanks haha

Same here. The scope just isn't getting it done for me. I had a Red dot on a Ruger Alaskan that was much more effective. I ditched that terd gun though. Hard to go from FA down to Ruger in a wheel gun.

They also make one for the Ruger SBH.:)

I like the lower profile of this mount better than the railed-style mount.

Don't like the fact that each mount is specific to a particular red-dot.:(

What holster are you using?
There's some cross compatibility, and I think there's three main patterns (Delta Point, RMR, and Venom), but yeah, it's a hassle.

I don't have a dedicated holster yet. I think I'd go with kydex if I can find one or have one made. Probably run it on the waist strap of my backpack, which is plenty sturdy and has molle webbing.

I have a FA 7.5" as well with a 2x leupold on it...Maybe a red dot is a better option?...

Same here. The scope just isn't getting it done for me. I had a Red dot on a Ruger Alaskan that was much more effective...
The red dot is pretty good, but due to the tiny objective, it's actually pretty tough to find the dot quickly, as it sits up higher than standard sights, and there's nothing to align to draw your eye to the right location. I'm gonna install a taller front sight, which should help, as the Venom has a set of lines on the back that serve as a faux rear sight.

That's some excellent shooting with a rather short barrel. It is a certified hunter without question.

Entopics, what you heard about air guns is at least partly true. It all depends on the type of airgun. The ones hard on scopes are the "springers," such as my RWS 45. It's a break action spring gun and the recoil is opposite a centerfire rifle. At around 900+ fps (.177 pellets) it takes around 35 to 40 pounds to cock! I've managed to break every scope I've ever put on it, including RWS airgun scopes. I had the internal lenses fall out of a Leupold 2 x 7 and sent it back to them. They returned it, all fixed & leak checked but explained that no regular rifle scopes will survive on this type of airgun because of the way the lenses are installed. Some airguns, such as the gas guns, have normal direction (or virtually no) recoil, so any scope will work just fine.
Cheers,
crkckr

Back about twenty years ago, I had a FA 83 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel in 454 Casull. It had a 2x7 Burris scope on it and nobody ever that gun it wasn't a rifle. My standard load was 300 gr Cast with 32 gr of WW 296 with SRM primers. Very accurate.

I only have one question for you. How is that red dot sight holding up. I had a problem with the recoil taring up scopes.

Back about twenty years ago, I had a FA 83 with a 7 1/2 inch barrel in 454 Casull. It had a 2x7 Burris scope on it and nobody ever that gun it wasn't a rifle. My standard load was 300 gr Cast with 32 gr of WW 296 with SRM primers. Very accurate.

I only have one question for you. How is that red dot sight holding up. I had a problem with the recoil taring up scopes.
So far so good, but it's only had about 100 rounds under it so far. We'll see how it goes. Since it was designed to run on an autoloader slide, I'm optimistic that it will hold up. It's pretty tiny too, so there's not a lot of mass/momentum on the parts when it's under recoil.

I'm shooting a 7 1/2" FA with the Venom. Great combo. My sight has held up to a few hundred full power 300 gr XTP loads. These revolvers are unbelievably accurate. My longest shot last year was a marmot at 212 yards, and another dozen or so between 104 and 156 yards. My elk season ended with the very scenario OP described, cow walks out at 10 yards, I draw slow and smooth and shoot at 15.

I like to cary my .357 mag alnong for white tail and hogs incase I get a chance when going to my stand out scouting or the finish shoot when on the blood trail. Can get good hits at a 100 yards and wouldn't mind to shoot a buck at 50 or so.

Just curious about the recoil. I don't know why but everything written about the 454 says it has vicious recoil. I don't know why. Do you think recoil is bad?
I have a 44 mag with hot hand loads that don't bother me. I am looking to shot a 500 S&W to compare notes .

It's like two .44s in one hand going off. The .500 is not as snappy as a .454.

I agree. The 460 mag I had was more pleasant to shoot than the 454. It's a beast of a cartridge. Can't imagine a 500Linebaugh maximum or something like that.
I have a 460 with 8 3/8" barrel. I don't find it bad to shoot at all. It's the carrying and holding it steady that's problematic. No snap shots with it.

I have an Ultra Dot red dot on it that's held up through a couple boxes of factory loads.

I have a 460 with 8 3/8" barrel. I don't find it bad to shoot at all. It's the carrying and holding it steady that's problematic. No snap shots with it.

I have an Ultra Dot red dot on it that's held up through a couple boxes of factory loads.

I've the same! It's much more comfortable to shoot (except for muzzle blast) with 400 grain bullets "maxed-out", than my 629 (44 mag) with 265 grain bullets "maxed-out"! I'm using the Burris Fastfire on it, and also find it is slow to put into service. Rick, I carry in a cross-chest carry rig, and shoot from "sticks", on longer shots!

To add insult to injury, entopics is shooting much better than I! :mad: memtb

I've the same! It's much more comfortable to shoot (except for muzzle blast) with 400 grain bullets "maxed-out", than my 629 (44 mag) with 265 grain bullets "maxed-out"! I'm using the Burris Fastfire on it, and also find it is slow to put into service. Rick, I carry in a cross-chest carry rig, and shoot from "sticks", on longer shots!

To add insult to injury, entopics is shooting much better than I! :mad: memtb
I can't wait to get my Ruger SBH back.

I think the weight of the S&W is what makes it difficult to shoot offhand. And the muzzle blast will flat out destroy lesser quality rests.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.