Update "long Range" shot photos

jkward

Well I was able to go out today and try out 500yds (actually 507.5). This is the first time I have ever shot this far. I am shooting a Weatherby Vanguard .308 and I was shooting hornady SST 165gr. factory ammo. After shooting I have a couple of questions. My first two shots hit the target with a 3.358 spread. My third shot was a reload ( I just started reloading) I missed, windage was good but it hit about two feet low. I am reloading .308 with hornday SST 165gr. and IMR 4895 with winchester brass and federal 210 primers. Does anybody have any good recipes using the 165 gr SST? Also how much difference does it make shooting from a very hot barrel to a cold barrel. I zeroed my rifle in 42 degrees today it was 78 degrees. I could also feel alot of heat on the barrel. Thanks for any input.
IMG00137-20100418-2004.jpg

First two rounds were factory, and third was handloaded. So what was the rifle sighted in with? my p.o.i. changes with different loads and velocities, so unless you did say for example, a 3 shot group vs. 3 shot group (more would be better) you dont realy have a level playing field for judging your hand loads.
Have you checked the velocities of each? Are you close to factory? Theres a few too many variables here. But nice 2 shots ESPECIALLY having never shot distance before. Impressive. I have a feeling your gonna get hooked shooting at distance with what I saw on your picture. Good job

Today was the first time that I've shot reloads. The problem was that I shot the factory rounds first and I think the barrel was too hot when I shot thew reloads. I don't have a chronograph , but the team at my work does, I'm goin to try and get out this weekend and use it and create a drop chart for my reloads. I have been using hornady's drop chart for their factory ammo and it has worked good so far.

Like Winmag said, you're POI is going to change with different types of ammo whether reloads or factory. I doubt two shots in your 308 is going to heat up the bbl enough to make much of a difference. Remember, your gun is sighted in for the factory ammo and is shooting it pretty well, still maintaining just under 1 MOA out to 500 yds.

If you can get your hands on that chrono, that would help. Your reloads look to be shooting somewhat slower and dropping two feet at that range or have a drastically different POI.

Read up on reloading for accuracy. Reload some more work up loads and shoot them over that chrono and see what you come up with. Your doing great so far, keep at it.

Thanks for the input. My reloading book (Hornady 7th edition) shows a velocity of 2600 FPS with a Hornady SST 165 Gr bullet. however their factory 165gr SST state a velocity of over 2800. I know it varies from rifle to rifle, but i am almost at maximum load and I seem to have a much slower velocity. Is there something i can do to speed things up without blowing myself up?

Don't assume you are below the expected velocity from your loads. Different loads have different POI. Without resetting your zero, a new load can hit lower but actually be shooting flatter. A 5 MOA difference is quite a bit, but thats one shot and the real difference may be less after some more shooting.

Probably need some more data before coming to any conclusions. With a few groups and a chrono, you will have decent idea of whats happening.

Looks like the factory loads are doing great, but again 2 shots aren't enough to know for sure.

Last edited:
If you are using the superformance loads, it is going to be difficult to duplicate. You are going to have to get a chrony and shoot across with factory and handloads to see what it looks like with speed comparison. Also you have to look at what they used for a test rifle for there load specs in your manual.

For load testing you need to shorten your range to 100 or 200 yards. This will prove much better for finding a load for your rifle. 200 to 300 would be a much better comparison for boat tail bullets.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.