My latest project

WildRose

I've had some bits and pieces laying around so I decided to put them together.

I started off with a fence post of an HS Precision tactical stock from a Remington PSS (I think) The palm swells on it were so big I doubt a grizzly bear could hold it comfortably.

I have very thick hands and short thick fingers so my hands don't fit lots of things well. I got out the dremel and some sand paper and went to working on it till I felt I had a good fit. The plan was to have a concavity where my palm sets and to have my piny below the modified pistol grip with my other two fingers just molding into the stock and a comfortable rest for the trigger finger when it's not in use.

See first attachment.

Picture two is just a top view.

Next is a picture of the whole rig. 300 Rum on a trued Remington Sendero Action so it's essentially just a Sendero II SF. Sitting on it is a Leupold VX7L LR 4.5-18x56 with the Boone and Crockett Reticle. I'm really impressed with the quality of the glass and the pop up turrets. You just twist the caps and they pop up and you have then essentially a target turret under neath.

Oh it's got the EGW HD base, rings came with the scope and I'm not sure of the make but they are very well made.

Last picture shows the texture I added. I hate a slippery stock so I used Brownell's spray grit which doesn't have much grit to it by the way, as an epoxy and then I just sprinkle some silicon dioxide tumbling media on it after applying the epoxy. This gives you a great trip texture under any conditions.

I'm going to add a heavier recoil lug (still has factory on it) and install a Muzzle brake hopefully next week.

I've got some surgery next week so I probably won't get to shoot it for a few months but the gunsmith should be done with it long before I'm ready so it'll give me something to look forward too when I get clearance to do so.

I'll also probably go ahead and do the finish sanding, put another coat of the base coat on and then put the camo job on it before I go see the butcher next week.

I've got another that will be leaving for Chris at Benchmark Barrels to work over and turn into a 26 Nosler so I Should have plenty to do this summer.

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 68
Very nice. Great work.
Thanks, it really hasn't taken all that much work, probably three or four hours grinding and sanding time to this point. I'm not too sure how much more I'm going to worry about getting all the little imperfections sanded out to be honest. If it were for someone else I suspect I could get it perfect but since it's just a "Hmm I wonder if I can make this cheap stock comfortable" kind of thing and I'm planning on just keeping it I don't know. I'll be one handed for about the next 3-5 months anyhow so If I'm going to go for "perfect" it's going to just have to wait till I'm better able.

Here's some better pictures. I just like sharing ideas for those of us who are fairly well restricted budget wise. You won't get a Joe Russo stock doing it yourself or by trying to customize a factory stock but you can get one that's comfortable and does what you need if you are kind of handy and have some basic tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0045.jpg
    IMG_0045.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0046.jpg
    IMG_0046.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 67
See I knew we were related!!!!! Papa rose, that handle will for me too!!! Hahaha!!!
By the way, I resemble that butcher remark!!!

Looks good dude!!! Amazing how necessity is the mother of invention isn't it!!!!

Like it dude. Can't wait to see your 26.

Good luck next week. Let me know how it goes and what's done.

Mario

Just a Fyi here but if your looking for a nice glazing putty to finish up the little spots you have left in there you might try some of this

Evercoat

I know it says its "metal glaze" but it works just fine over any paint, and it is very very smooth once you sand it down. Just sand those spots with a little 180/320 and a red scuff pad, thin layer of glaze over it, and smooth it up. One coat of primer over it and its sand and paint time, we use it in the body shop. We use this stuff as a final glaze or for small spot repairs in body work here. It works extremely well for very minor touch up style repairs. Dries extremely quick!

I wish i had the patience to devote to forming something like that. I bet that thing feels awesome when your latched onto it! Nice work!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.