Update on my latest long range project...(454 Casull)

Just a quick brag post on my "backup" gun for elk hunting. I posted a thread awhile back about using a pistol in tight spaces. A scenario where you're humping along in a gully or timber with your rifle slung up, and you're surprised by a herd of ungulates.

FA 454 Casull, 4 3/4" barrel. Had it for a couple decades, but only recently started thinking about it as anything but a party trick at the range and/or "stick it against the fur" bear gun. Got a deal on the Vortex Venom, and decided to see what I could do with it.
View attachment 132289

300 gr XTP MAG, meandering along at 1600 fps...
View attachment 132291

Three shots into about 4.5" at 98 yds. Kneeling, offhand.

It's really a bit surprising what kind of performance I'm getting out of a 3.5 lb wheel gun with a stubby barrel. When zeroed at 20 yds, this load only has ± 2" of drop out to ~120 yds, and at 150 yds, it's still carrying the speed and energy that a long barreled 44 mag has at the muzzle (not that I'd ever shoot at game that far).

Anyway, not the typical "long range" topic around here, but I'm sure having fun with it. Still need to do a little load tweaking, but she's already working out better than I'd imagined.
I get 5/8" 5 shot group outta my TARUS .454 RAGIBG BULL with 300gr SP SIERRAS. Slighty better with 240 JHP's. These groups are offa a bench & sandbag, with a BURRIS scope at 100 yards! I out shoot mosta my buddies in a rapid 5 shot string with my Wheel gun compared to their rifles. Theosmithjr

I get 5/8" 5 shot group outta my TARUS .454 RAGIBG BULL with 300gr SP SIERRAS. Slighty better with 240 JHP's. These groups are offa a bench & sandbag, with a BURRIS scope at 100 yards! I out shoot mosta my buddies in a rapid 5 shot string with my Wheel gun compared to their rifles. Theosmithjr

Theo, I certainly do not mean to create descent here, but he mentioned elk! I don't think that I would use a jacketed handgun bullet, especially as light as a 240 in a 45 caliber. Unless, offered a nice broadside shot. JHP's generally upset too much for good penetration when extreme angles are factored in.

He also mentioned "bear gun"! It's been verified over the years that expanding handgun bullets are poor performers on large bear, with the possible exception being the Barnes. However, hard cast, wide metplat bullets continue to prove their superiority on large and/or dangerous game!

I do not mean to offend....merely attempt to follow his use guidelines! memtb

If one could get some of the original Freedom Arms 260 grain bullets they can certainly be used on BIG game, including bears. They out penetrate 7mm 175 grain partitions with a velocity of 3,150 feet per second and 160 grain partitions at 3,360 feet per second.

Notified by Ruger today that the SBH is being returned to me after they replaced the hammer and pawl.

Weather permitting, I hope to put some rounds down-range this weekend.

I am looking for a red dot to install on my FA 454 also. The Venom would shut off after each shot, and I returned to Vortex, and remounted. After a dozen shots, it did same, so I am thinking the newer Aimpoint maybe.

I have one Trijicon RMR, just got it mounted on another gun and haven't tested it yet. The biggest issue, so far, is the inability to turn it off. They say the battery should last at least a year. Still...

Received the SBH back today. Feels like a totally different gun.

I may install a lighter hammer spring but I can live with it now.

The trigger feels like a SA trigger should feel.

Great customer service from Ruger.

You want a lighter hammer spring? I had to put a heavier hammer spring in mine to detonate the CCI450 primers.
I don't have any CCI primers - Winchester and Federal.

No plan to change it out yet. I haven't even test fired it yet.

Weather permitting, that will happen Sunday.

Just got me some new 3/8" AR500 8" gongs and some Complete Target Solutions T-post target hangers.

This thread got me excited so I pulled out my Freedom 454 today after a couple years and wow I lost my touch, I mean I'd get an elk killed at 50 yards but definitely not confidence inspiring. I know the gun shoots so it's all on me and like I mentioned before I just don't get along with a scope on a handgun but is it because it's only a 2x and maybe more magnification would help? So I'm thinking I need a change. Should I go with a red dot like mentioned here, the venom, delta point pro or trijicon or get a 4x scope? Or a variable scope? My goal would be MAX 100 yards but probably under 75 on game.

I know the gun shoots so it's all on me and like I mentioned before I just don't get along with a scope on a handgun but is it because it's only a 2x and maybe more magnification would help? So I'm thinking I need a change. Should I go with a red dot like mentioned here, the venom, delta point pro or trijicon or get a 4x scope? Or a variable scope? My goal would be MAX 100 yards but probably under 75 on game.
I've not looked through a magnified handgun scope in many years and I don't remember which scope it was.

The problem I had with the magnified scope was the eyebox was very particular and I found it difficult to use. It was like trying to look through a straw held 18" from my eye.

I don't have that problem with the non-magnified red dot.

With that said, there are also the different types of red dots.The Ultra Dot red dot is a tube, therefore it is like looking through a tube. Though I don't find it as bad as a magnified optic, it's not my favorite. I don't have the same problem with this type of red dot when mounted on rifles with the optic closer to my eye.

I much prefer the reflex-type sites on handguns (and rifles too for that matter) as I don't find the view to be as restrictive (for me).

This thread got me excited so I pulled out my Freedom 454 today after a couple years and wow I lost my touch...So I'm thinking I need a change. Should I go with a red dot like mentioned here, the venom, delta point pro or trijicon or get a 4x scope? Or a variable scope? My goal would be MAX 100 yards but probably under 75 on game.
Regarding optics, I'd work on your accuracy before I'd commit to getting a new optic. Shooting heavy recoiling guns is a perishable skill. Get some practice in, particularly flinch drills. Load the revolver with one or two live rounds, and the rest of the chambers with empty brass. Spin the cylinder a bunch of times so you have no idea where the live rounds will be, then go to town. I'll bet the first time the hammer falls on an empty case, you'll immediately know why you're not getting the accuracy you used to get.

A 2X scope will undoubtedly be more precise than a red dot, so that is not your problem in terms of accuracy (unless something mechanical is amiss). In terms of speed and handling though, the red dots are of course gonna be faster and more forgiving than a magnified optic, but in my experience, all makes/models/types are slower than iron sights unless you practice ALOT. With no two-point visual cue to help your mind and body work together to line things up as you're presenting the weapon, you end up searching around for the dot or crosshairs.

The same principle applies to rifles of course, but the scopes are usually not arms length away, and you have the buttstock and cheek weld to help put all the pieces in place as you mount the weapon, so it's much less noticeable.

Anyway, I'd get your muscle memory and mental game back in shape with the rig you have, then worry about getting a new optic. All of the options you mention should work well, but if you can't hit with a scope, none of them will cure that.

When you are ready for a scope you might try a Leupold 2 1/2-8X. It's the only one my .454 didn't break.

I had two .454. I preferred the one with the scope but was faster with open sights.

When you are ready for a scope you might try a Leupold 2 1/2-8X. It's the only one my .454 didn't break.

I had two .454. I preferred the one with the scope but was faster with open sights.

And unless I'm incorrect....I think it is one of the few with a "very" forgiving range of eye relief! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts