Update on my latest long range project...(454 Casull)

entoptics

Just a quick brag post on my "backup" gun for elk hunting. I posted a thread awhile back about using a pistol in tight spaces. A scenario where you're humping along in a gully or timber with your rifle slung up, and you're surprised by a herd of ungulates.

FA 454 Casull, 4 3/4" barrel. Had it for a couple decades, but only recently started thinking about it as anything but a party trick at the range and/or "stick it against the fur" bear gun. Got a deal on the Vortex Venom, and decided to see what I could do with it.
IMG_4074.jpg.jpeg

300 gr XTP MAG, meandering along at 1600 fps...
IMG_4119.jpeg

Three shots into about 4.5" at 98 yds. Kneeling, offhand.

It's really a bit surprising what kind of performance I'm getting out of a 3.5 lb wheel gun with a stubby barrel. When zeroed at 20 yds, this load only has ± 2" of drop out to ~120 yds, and at 150 yds, it's still carrying the speed and energy that a long barreled 44 mag has at the muzzle (not that I'd ever shoot at game that far).

Anyway, not the typical "long range" topic around here, but I'm sure having fun with it. Still need to do a little load tweaking, but she's already working out better than I'd imagined.

Looks like fun! I took my casull on a bear hunt with hounds 12 years ago, killed a nice boar with it. Haven't hunted with it since. Makes me want to take it along this year....

I ordered a Ruger Super Redhawk Bisley in .454 with 4.62" barrel (a Lipsey's special).

When it arrived at my FFL and we unboxed it I was disappointed.

The hammer was difficult to cock, the trigger was very heavy and the cylinder had a pronounced "wobble" when spun with the loading gate open.

As this was a limited run I decided to keep it and e-mailed Ruger.

I had a prepaid return shipping label within 20 minutes of talking to Ruger CS and now waiting for them to send it back so I can start load development.

And try to figure out how to best mount a red-dot.:)

I'd call that good enough! It's amazing how accurate a good revolver can be, as long as you can get a good sight picture. I like the look of that little Vortex Venom; I'm anxious to see how it holds up for you. The recoil from a light weight 454 can be pretty hard on optics.

...I like the look of that little Vortex Venom; I'm anxious to see how it holds up for you. The recoil from a light weight 454 can be pretty hard on optics.

That concerned me as well, but I thought about it, and the optic was primarily designed to sit on top of autoloading pistols. The rodeo it would go through on a reciprocating slide is probably far more punishing than a big ol pistol.

I remember reading somewhere that airguns will kill some rifle scopes that would otherwise survive monster magnums. Something about high speed bi-directional recoil from the springs. Not sure if that's a myth or not.

Thats some good shootin with a great gun!
Pickt up a used magnaported SRH many years ago. Bought it for bears but its too heavy to have handy so the 10mm get taken along more these days.
The SRH shoots factory 250 grainers great @ 1250 fps but have yet to get a reload that shoots worth a dang past hot 45lc velocities . First thing it ever killed was a porkipine and it took 5 shots to ancor that tuff devil. A few prairie dogs have been put down with it and it even got a very unlucky 13 lined ground squirrel. Its only big game critter was a Minnesota whitetail= the 250 gain ext dropped him in his tracks!
cjy.jpg

Just curious about the recoil. I don't know why but everything written about the 454 says it has vicious recoil. I don't know why. Do you think recoil is bad?
I have a 44 mag with hot hand loads that don't bother me. I am looking to shot a 500 S&W to compare notes .

Just curious about the recoil. I don't know why but everything written about the 454 says it has vicious recoil. I don't know why. Do you think recoil is bad?
I have a 44 mag with hot hand loads that don't bother me. I am looking to shot a 500 S&W to compare notes .
It's subjective of course, but with practice, it's perfectly acceptable. It's strong enough that for range sessions, I wear a light glove (mechanix, motocross, shooting, etc). That allows me to get more rounds down range without fatigue and flinching.

I've shot mad magnums since I was a little kid, but I recently spent an afternoon shooting for groups with a 44 mag (short and long bbl), 475 Linebaugh (long bbl), 454 Casull (see above), and 500 SW (long bbl), so I have a fresh in mind comparison.

Frankly, the 44 mag is quite a bit below the rest, but it has the qualities that one needs to address to be good with magnum handguns, so if you can master it without flinching, you can master the big dogs without much extra training.

Having seen plenty of my gun owning friends struggle to put 9mm or 40SW into a foot circle at 10 yds, I think it all comes down to controlling your flinch instinct, micro 380 or X-Frame 500SW.

What rail did you use to mount the RDS? I have the same pistol in 7 1/2". Want to take scope off and go RDS.

Shoot me a email/direct message if you want some load data.

What rail did you use to mount the RDS? I have the same pistol in 7 1/2". Want to take scope off and go RDS.

Shoot me a email/direct message if you want some load data.
https://www.raptor-eng.com/raptor_eng_005.htm

It's pretty good, though on my gun, it doesn't fill the sight channel entirely. There's a gap at the front and back. I'm a little concerned that the screws are what's taking all the force. The fit and finish is otherwise excellent though.

Freedom arms also sells mounts for most of the popular red dot sights. I think they run about $50, so a bit more than the Raptor Engineering one.

https://www.raptor-eng.com/raptor_eng_005.htm

It's pretty good, though on my gun, it doesn't fill the sight channel entirely. There's a gap at the front and back. I'm a little concerned that the screws are what's taking all the force. The fit and finish is otherwise excellent though.

Freedom arms also sells mounts for most of the popular red dot sights. I think they run about $50, so a bit more than the Raptor Engineering one.
They also make one for the Ruger SBH.:)

I like the lower profile of this mount better than the railed-style mount.

Don't like the fact that each mount is specific to a particular red-dot.:(

What holster are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.