Twist for .257

nhenry

Hello all,
I can't find any info on this so I'm hoping y'all can help. I ordered a new barrel for my Tikka in 25-06 rem in a 1:7.5 twist with the intent to shoot the longer bullets that are coming out. I know that it can also be used for the 115-120s I already use. However, I'm unsure if I'd be able to shoot the 100 gr bullets. Anyone able to give me info on this? Thanks

Most likely the 100s will work, but you may overspin them considering a 7.5 twist with 3300fps is 316,000 RPM. The general consensus is to keep RPMs under 300,000 for cup and core bullets. Like I said, it will probably be fine but I would just be aware of that.

102 grain hammer hunter shoots .3 group out of my 25-06ai 8 twist at 3450 fps! Tired 85 nosler ballistic tips and 87 Speer tnt with .5 group!!! The 85 grain nosler ballistic tip would have a flier every once in a while, had it at 3620 fps! The 87 Speer shot pertty consist .5 group at 3560fps. Shot a coyote with 102 hammer hunter tonight and drt!!!

Interesting topic. With an 85 gr nosler varmint ballistic tip Nosler's load data page says you can get 3825 fps from a 257 weatherby. With a 1 in 7.5 twist that would yield 367,200 RPMs. Nosler says: "Nosler® Ballistic Tip® Varmint bullets thrive on ultra-high velocity loads". Would love to hear what happens if you choose to try them.

To date I have not had a single 55 Nosler BT varmint bullet come apart from a 6mm-284 @ 4200 fps 326,918 RPM.

Who knows maybe 367,200 RPM would be too much.

I can guarantee if you choose a mono or a bonded bullet you won't have to worry.

Interesting topic. With an 85 gr nosler varmint ballistic tip Nosler's load data page says you can get 3825 fps from a 257 weatherby. With a 1 in 7.5 twist that would yield 367,200 RPMs. Nosler says: "Nosler® Ballistic Tip® Varmint bullets thrive on ultra-high velocity loads". Would love to hear what happens if you choose to try them.

To date I have not had a single 55 Nosler BT varmint bullet come apart from a 6mm-284 @ 4200 fps 326,918 RPM.

Who knows maybe 367,200 RPM would be too much.

I can guarantee if you choose a mono or a bonded bullet you won't have to worry.
I never go under 100, but I use some Speer SPBT 100s and Nosler Ballistic Tips. Very lethal and I wouldn't want to give up the range of bullets

My experience has shown that it is a hit and miss especially with hunting rounds designed to expand . Depending on the brand of manufacturers the jacketing on the bullet may come apart from such a fast spin. Bullet design and manufacturer could be your limiting factor.

Hello all,
I can't find any info on this so I'm hoping y'all can help. I ordered a new barrel for my Tikka in 25-06 rem in a 1:7.5 twist with the intent to shoot the longer bullets that are coming out. I know that it can also be used for the 115-120s I already use. However, I'm unsure if I'd be able to shoot the 100 gr bullets. Anyone able to give me info on this? Thanks
You'll be fine with the 25-06, just load what you want and let it eat

When I asked Blackjack about a 1:7 twist for a 257 weatherby they said to keep it at 1:7.5 or 8 otherwise I would need to keep the velocity below 3250 to keep them from coming apart.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.