.257 9 twist

gabby

I'm going to have a rifle rebarreled to 25-06AI. I'm going to use 130 gr. wildcat bullets so I want to go with a 9 twist barrel. If you have a .257 in a 9 twist, what brand of barrel is it? So far I've found Lawton, Pac-Nor, & Shilen that make a 9 twist in 25 cal. I know there has to be more.

Thanks Mike

Last edited:
Krieger will make usually make a barrel with any twist or groove number that you request for an additional cost of about $25.00 to $50.00. However, I would guess that any cut rifling barrel manufacturer would probably do the same.

About 2 years ago, I purchased a 257 cal 7 twist Krieger barrel for chambering to 257W so that I could stabilise the Wildcat 156 grain ULD.

I currently have a Shilen 24 inch 10 twist barrel on my 25/06AI, and it achieves 3,580 fps with the 100 grain Nosler BT, 3,275 fps with the 115 grain Nosler BT, 3,225 fps with Wildcat 125 grain ULD, 3150 fps with Wildcat 130 grain BCFBHP, 3,050 fps with Wildcat 142 grain ULD, and 2,830 fps with Wildcat 156 grain ULD. The 10 twist barrel naturally did not stabilise the 142 and 156 grain bullets.

When the current barrel on my 25/06AI needs replacing, I will see which bullet weights are available and then make my choice. At the moment I am looking at a twist that would stablise the 142 grain ULD, which in my opinion appears to be the heaviest bullet that 25/06AI case capacity seems suited for. Good luck with your 25/06AI. Brian.

Brian ; thanks for your reply. I looked at several web sites-Krieger, Lilja, Broughton & several others. None listed a 9 twist. It didn't dawn on me to think of calling them.
Thanks Mike

Buffalobob; I'm getting the idea that barrel makers are so busy they don't have time to update their web sites.Spencer is a good example, he doesn't list a .257 with any twist! I think I'll give him and a couple others a call to find out if they make them and to see what kind of time frame we're looking at. I'd like to use this rifle this season if possible.
Thanks Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.