.264 1-9 twist

I'm still in the build process of my .264 Remington 700
Doing as much research as possible I came across an article
that stated a 1:9 twist is the best for the caliber giving the
powder time to burn through.

Also I came across an older .264 Barrel and have not heard back from the seller to learn what condition the bore is in.
So thinking...asking, if this bore has seen better days, what can it be bored out to.
It's an original 700 Rem barrel 1:9 .264
Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year
You can re-chamber a barrel, but would not advise re-bore.
Just go and get yourself a new blank and chamber it to what cartridge you want to shoot and what bullets you want to use. If .264 caliber then go with at least a 1:8 twist that way you can shoot light to heavy bullets. If you want to go mainly heavy 1:7.5.
Len & Jill

Merry Christmas and Happy Healthy Prosperous New Year
You can re-chamber a barrel, but would not advise re-bore.
Just go and get yourself a new blank and chamber it to what cartridge you want to shoot and what bullets you want to use. If .264 caliber then go with at least a 1:8 twist that way you can shoot light to heavy bullets. If you want to go mainly heavy 1:7.5.
Len & Jill
Thanks, Happy Holidays to you folks as well

I'm still in the build process of my .264 Remington 700
Doing as much research as possible I came across an article
that stated a 1:9 twist is the best for the caliber giving the
powder time to burn through.

Also I came across an older .264 Barrel and have not heard back from the seller to learn what condition the bore is in.
So thinking...asking, if this bore has seen better days, what can it be bored out to.
It's an original 700 Rem barrel 1:9 .264
1-9 twist was what most factory 6.5 barrels where 1-8 twist made the Creedmore famous . With all the new heavy for caliber and mono bullets you would be going backwards with a 1-9 twist because of the heavier and mono bullets needing a faster twist to stabilize . If you want to salvage that old 1-9 twist you might consider setting it back and rechambering, the throat is probably shot out and the rifling may be ok .I would have it rebarreld instead of rebored too a faster twist It would be more cost effective and you will have what a 264 win mag should have been from the beginning .

1-9 twist was what most factory 6.5 barrels where 1-8 twist made the Creedmore famous . With all the new heavy for caliber and mono bullets you would be going backwards with a 1-9 twist because of the heavier and mono bullets needing a faster twist to stabilize . If you want to salvage that old 1-9 twist you might consider setting it back and rechambering, the throat is probably shot out and the rifling may be ok .I would have it rebarreld instead of rebored too a faster twist It would be more cost effective and you will have what a 264 win mag should have been from the beginning .
Thanks Hard rock, I'm leaning that way now. I like to learn, and there fore needed and wanted to know the whys, instead of people just telling someone to go with something different. Understanding this makes me research in the right direction.
Thanks

If you are sticking with traditional hunting bullets of 140 grain or less the 1-9 will work just fine, there are three of them in my hunting group, two win M70's 1 each post and pre 64, along with a Remington 700 that used to be mine which I only ever used for long shots on rock chucks all three shoot sub moa (3 shot groups ) with 140 gr Nosler partition, both Winchesters shoot the 140 gr Sierra well while the rem prefers the hornady for a second bullet choice, I shot the 107 gr Sierra match for chucks,

If you are sticking with traditional hunting bullets of 140 grain or less the 1-9 will work just fine, there are three of them in my hunting group, two win M70's 1 each post and pre 64, along with a Remington 700 that used to be mine which I only ever used for long shots on rock chucks all three shoot sub moa (3 shot groups ) with 140 gr Nosler partition, both Winchesters shoot the 140 gr Sierra well while the rem prefers the hornady for a second bullet choice, I shot the 107 gr Sierra match for chucks,
Thanks Bret, much appreciated

Thanks Bret, much appreciated
If you change barrels, min of 1-8 twist , will be the ticket 1-7.5 even better , but if you stay with existing barrel and rechamber , too cleanup the throat pay attention too the recommended twist rate for the bullets of choice . Example I shoot Hammers and have twist rates from 1-9 to 1-7.5 in several different 6.5 cal . I have a lot more choices in the 1-7.5 and 1-8 twist than I do with the 1-9 . from monos to cup and core . The type of rifling even plays a part when you speed the twist rate up over 1-8 cut rifling 5 r versus 6 groove button rifling . The cut rifling is harder on the thin jacketed match bullets. Overall there will be no issues with the 1-8 in either types of rifling.

If you change barrels, min of 1-8 twist , will be the ticket 1-7.5 even better , but if you stay with existing barrel and rechamber , too cleanup the throat pay attention too the recommended twist rate for the bullets of choice . Example I shoot Hammers and have twist rates from 1-9 to 1-7.5 in several different 6.5 cal . I have a lot more choices in the 1-7.5 and 1-8 twist than I do with the 1-9 . from monos to cup and core . The type of rifling even plays a part when you speed the twist rate up over 1-8 cut rifling 5 r versus 6 groove button rifling . The cut rifling is harder on the thin jacketed match bullets. Overall there will be no issues with the 1-8 in either types of rifling.
I meant too say the cut rifling is easier on the thin jacketed match bullets than the button rifling.

The 1-9 twist isn't the best because of the majority of bullets in 6.5 are designed for the 1-8. My .264 WM does stabilize the Speer Gold Dot 140 with a BC of 571 because of the rebated boat tail. Bullet length is everything for slower twist barrels. I've been testing high velocity impacts with this round and wouldn't use it for heavy bone but broadside up to Elk or quartering away this bonded VLD style bullet holds together just fine.

The problem is they may stabilize and they may not. With at least an 8 twist there is no maybe.

The 264 Win Mag was held back by the short SAAMI length and the 9 twist barrels IMO. It would not have been overshadowed so much by the 7 mag had it been throated and twisted properly.

As Lance said, I would not even consider a 9 twist barrel on a modern .264 bore rifle.

Last edited:
The 1-9 twist isn't the best because of the majority of bullets in 6.5 are designed for the 1-8. My .264 WM does stabilize the Speer Gold Dot 140 with a BC of 571 because of the rebated boat tail. Bullet length is everything for slower twist barrels. I've been testing high velocity impacts with this round and wouldn't use it for heavy bone but broadside up to Elk or quartering away this bonded VLD style bullet holds together just fine.
The Gold Dot is a highly underrated bullet for hunting.

I have, and have had several 264s. Like many others have said, go with a 1 in 8 at minimum or a 1 in 7.5. Shoot the 147 eld m or 156 bergers with R33 or retumbo.