22-250AI 1 in 8 twist or 1 in 9 twist

Iron Worker

Current BBL is a Wilson 1 in 14 twist(22-250AI) I want to shoot 55 to 75 gr Bullets. I've been told that a 1 in 8 twist is the way to go. Contacted 1st class cut rifles BBL maker who says a 1in 9 twist is the way to go. What should I do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I've seen several 1-9's that would shoot the 75gr A-max with no problems and I've seen 1-9's that woulden't stabilize them no matter how hard you pushed them.
I personaly would use a 1-8 that way theirs no doubt. The differance in velocity and fouling between the 1-8 and 1-9 is not going to be noticable. And if you ever want to try a little heavier bullet then it'll be no problem.
If they are the same cost why not play it safe?

Either one will work great, I suspect the 1-9 would be plenty at the velocity level you will get with the 22-250 AI but it never hurts to have a bit more twist then needed as long as it does not tear apart the bullets.

Personally, If I were only shooting up to the 75 gr pills, I would go the 1-9 way because that would give you the best chance to shoot conventional 55 gr pills without dusting them.

One bit of advice I would recommend, get a 6 groove barrel over a 3 or 4 groove. Yes the 3 or 4 groove will last longer but they are also much harder on heavy VLD type bullets in fast twist barrels. The 6 groove barrels will offer much more velocity with these bullets without bullet failure in most cases.

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi i have one with a 1 in 7 but it smokes the A Max's the 8 twists are fine and they will also stabalise the 80gr Sierra and A Max aswell as the 90gr Sierra MatchKings. I have also used the 55gr Sierra Blitz Kings in the 7 twist no problem at all.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.