Will a 1 in 8 twist?

I believe that you may have some chance of stabilising the 90 grain Sierra MK, (about 1.160 inches)but getting eneough rpms to shoot accurately may be a problem.

I believe that you have no chance of stabilising enough to get accuracy with 90 grain bullets from JLK (1.225 in) or Berger (about 1.250)with the 8 twist barrel.

A few that I know found that the 90 grain JLK at about 3,500 from 22/6mm AI, would just stabilise, but accuracy was terrible.

A custom bullet maker told me about 5 years ago, that his experiments showed that the Krieger 7.7 twist was the minimum when using the 90 grain JLK in his 22/243 Middlestead.

I chronographed bullet weights from 65 - 100 grains in my 22/250AI to see what velocities the case was capable of producing. I got about 3,100 - 3150 fps with the 90 grain Sierra MK in a Shilen 24.5 inch 1 in 10 twist barrel. (Obviously they keyholed into target)

Hope that the above is of some help. Brian.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.