1 in 8 or 1 in 9 twist for .280 AI build?

mark slavinski

8" is in stock, 9" is what I want but will take 4-12 months to get. I don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 160's so I guess my question is, will a one in 8 twist be ok for 140 and 150 gn bullets? Any experience on this would be appreciated….

If you don't plan to shoot heavier than 160 class then 9" is what I prefer.
You can do 168 and 175 with a 9 twist.
Some guys won't go slower than a 8 or 8.5 but I found the 9 to be easy to find any load for and the 8 to be a little more finicky with 140's for some reason.

My .02

Last edited:
I agree on the 8 twist. I went 7.5 twist on my 280 AI. I wouldn't go 9 twist in case you want to shoot a heavier bullet or an all copper. Marginal stability isn't good for terminal performance. I'd rather over stabilize.

8" is in stock, 9" is what I want but will take 4-12 months to get. I don't plan on shooting anything heavier than 160's so I guess my question is, will a one in 8 twist be ok for 140 and 150 gn bullets? Any experience on this would be appreciated….
"I" personally go with 1:7"; it gives you the flexibility to use the monos and heavier bullets.

I shoot 168' & 180's out of 9. Its shoots very well! (Maybe I got lucky?)
Looks like you and I are the only 9 dudes on here! 😂
I am a hater of overspinning bullets when I don't have to.
That's why I shoot a 308 with 11.25 twist with 185's in F/TR.
I shoot different 7's with 8.5- 9's and 168 or 175's do pretty well!
Just saying...But, I'm at sea level....:oops::oops::oops::oops: so that **** shouldn't happen!

Ok...I digress. 😞
Go with the other guys recommendations... I don't use copper mono's so I guess you'll need an 8 for 160 grain max copper. lol

Last edited:
No plans for mono's, going to be a lighter weight build for carrying. Hoping To get a cup & core 150 to shoot really well, If not, I have a bunch of 160's to try. I don't want to have to wait that long for a bbl so I think I might go for the one in 8 based on everyone's recommendation. Thanks!

8"