8 Twist in 280 AI

Fallguy

I've been kicking around building a 280 AI but discovered that Browning is now offering a 280 AI and I like X-Bolts. In looking at the specs, it shows it has a 1-8 twist with a 26 inch barrel. The gun will be used for hunting all western big game and I will not be using the heavy-for-caliber bullets. The plan is to use Nosler Accubonds (150 or 160), Barnes TTSX (140 or 150) and possibly Hornady Interbonds (154). I'm old school and like bullets that hold together and am OK with sacrificing the flight benefits of the heavy-for-caliber aerodynamic bullets.

My concern is that the 8 twist is too fast for my bullets of choice. What do you think?

Twist is mostly about bullet length. How long are those Barnes compared to a long heavy Berger? The Barnes are long for weight due to the lower density of copper.

1-8 will not hurt you at all, though I'd pick a 1-9 twist or a 1-8.5 as the fastest for a 280AI. Definately preferred in the more brute-ish 7's like the 28 Nosler, 7mm STW and the 7mm Rem Mag if chambered for the heavies...(if your running 140-168sin that 280AI, I dont think you will notice any problems)

I'm going with a 24" 1-8 twist on a 280ai build right now. My intention is to shoot 155 Hammers or 160 Accubonds for a 600 yard and in rifle for everything in the west. My hunting partner runs the 160 Accubond out of a 1-8.5 twist Fierce 7mm Rem Mag and they shoot phenomenal. I think the bigger/longer bullets you listed should do well out of the rifle. Heck, my 1-8 twist AR barrel loves 55 gr Sierra Gamekings even though Sierra recommends 1-12 or faster.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.