.264 1-9 twist

MI.264

I'm still in the build process of my .264 Remington 700
Doing as much research as possible I came across an article
that stated a 1:9 twist is the best for the caliber giving the
powder time to burn through.

Also I came across an older .264 Barrel and have not heard back from the seller to learn what condition the bore is in.
So thinking...asking, if this bore has seen better days, what can it be bored out to.
It's an original 700 Rem barrel 1:9 .264

Last edited:
9 twist will limit your bullet choices to about 130 grain or less. An 8 twist will handle heavier bullets and be more flexible regarding bullet selection. 7 twist is a good choice for mono's but not necessary if you're going to shoot typical lead bullets.

No worries brother…. The 1-7.5" and 1-8" twist would allow you to run the heavier or mono bullets requiring a faster twist rate. The 1-9" works well but with some newer offerings they will need more twist to stabilize. For powder burn I feel in my humble opinion a longer barrel works better than slowing the twist rate down. Good luck!

No worries brother…. The 1-7.5" and 1-8" twist would allow you to run the heavier or mono bullets requiring a faster twist rate. The 1-9" works well but with some newer offerings they will need more twist to stabilize. For powder burn I feel in my humble opinion a longer barrel works better than slowing the twist rate down. Good luck!
I should have stated using a 26" barrel

I'm still in the build process of my .264 Remington 700
Doing as much research as possible I came across an article
that stated a 1:9 twist is the best for the caliber giving the
powder time to burn through.

Also I came across an older .264 Barrel and have not heard back from the seller to learn what condition the bore is in.
So thinking...asking, if this bore has seen better days, what can it be bored out to.
It's an original 700 Rem barrel 1:9 .264
I built mine with a 26" 5R 1:7" twist for the heavies like 156 Berger (min. twist 1:8") and monos (135 SB2 1:7" twist), requiring a faster twist rate.

Twist rate is for bullet stability, not powder burn rate.

A 1:9" was the old twist rate, before the 140-156 bullet weights were popular. It really limits what bullets you can shoot. I would never, EVER, consider a 1:9" twist rate in a .264/6.5mm barrel. Even when shooting 130s or lighter, a 1:8", or even 1:7.5" is a much better route to take. I shoot 130 OTMs in my 20" and 26" 1:7.5" 6.5SSs with amazing accuracy, stability, and terminal performance on game.

Buying a used 9 twist 264 barrel isn't normally desirable is what they are getting at. If you want to shoot the light stuff then by all means do what tickles your fancy. If you are wanting 140 class stuff or bigger you will need minimum 8 twist depending on cartridge.

As far as it being rechambered, the sky is the limit concerning cartridge choice but the twist rate will dictate you bullet selection regardless of cartridge.