Barrel twist 1-9 or 1-10 ?

enigma

I was looking at barrels for a 7mm-08. A 26 inch barrel has a 1 in 9 twist and the barrel 26 inches long wouldn't it be a better barrel than a 1 in 10 twist and the barrel 28 inches? Because with the 26 inch barrel you are 1 inch short of getting almost another full twist .And with the 28 inch barrel your 2 inches short of getting a full twist?I'll be shooting speer 145gr spt bt.

Last edited:
The number of full rotations has far less to do with stabilization than the rate of twist.

Choose the right twist for your bullet, and then choose the right length barrel for the type of shooting and/or velocity you want to achieve.

1 in 10" should stabilize a 145gr 7mm bullet just fine.

The 1 in 9" will stabilize the 145 plus do a better job with heavier bullets.

The shorter barrel should be adequate for velocity out of a 7mm-08.

I beleive that a 28" barrel with 1 in 10" twist will make it easier to get higher velocity than a 26" barrel with 1 in 9" twist.

10 twist is the better choice if you do not plan to shoot anything heavier than 168s and a 26" will give you the velocity your looking for and maybe a little more with less harmonic issues. JMO

Enigma -

What are you trying to accomplish?

3000fps without a compressed load is doesn't make sense to me as an objective.

There are multiple ways to do that. Such as different bullet, powder, barrel, cartridge. If you rebarrel, you can change cartridges at the same time.

So, what do you want to achieve with that rifle?

-- richard

I want to use the 145gr or 150 gr bullets it for hunting whitetail deer and thats the speed and bullets I like for killing deer 500-600- yard away and it goe's well with my scopes bdc.

3000fps seemed a little fast to me with a 145 grain bullet, but I think it's doable with a 26" barrel. The Speer manual lists a 2930 fps load using a 24" barrel and a compressed load if RL19. Personally, I think you'd be better served with the 7mm SAUM or the .270WSM. The loading manuals show close to 3200fps with a 24" barrel and 140 grain bullets. The .270 looks like a winner in my book
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.