257 Weatherby Twist Rate

Tkeslar

The first rifle I ever bought myself was the limited run stainless, fluted Remington 700 in 257 Weatherby mag. Have the rifle still but it needs a new barrel. I ordered a Bartlein carbon wrapped 5R twist in a 1 in 8 twist off their recommendation to run some heavier bullets. My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!

The first rifle I ever bought myself was the limited run stainless, fluted Remington 700 in 257 Weatherby mag. Have the rifle still but it needs a new barrel. I ordered a Bartlein carbon wrapped 5R twist in a 1 in 8 twist off their recommendation to run some heavier bullets. My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!
Yes, it will, but it depends highly on the bullet's construction. I have a 1:7" 5R that will be propelling heavies 131s, 133/135s, and 145s, but also have 117 Cayugas (1:7") and 110 SB2 (1:7")

That's what I was thinking...I have a 1 in 10 Proof that I bought from a fellow member on here a while back while I was waiting on the Bartlein...I have a pile of 115 grain Bergers that I'd like to shoot also, but Bergers twist stability calculator says a 1 in 10 twist is too slow. That can't be the case, can it? I'm torn between 1 in 8 with heaviers and the 1 in 10 for lighter stuff. This will be a 500 yard and in gun for deer and antelope. In my experience the light, fast moving stuff has hit like lightning and not a single animal I've shot has gone more than 10 yards. I am only going to use one barrel and sell the other. Just having a hard time deciding.

That's what I was thinking...I have a 1 in 10 Proof that I bought from a fellow member on here a while back while I was waiting on the Bartlein...I have a pile of 115 grain Bergers that I'd like to shoot also, but Bergers twist stability calculator says a 1 in 10 twist is too slow. That can't be the case, can it? I'm torn between 1 in 8 with heaviers and the 1 in 10 for lighter stuff. This will be a 500 yard and in gun for deer and antelope. In my experience the light, fast moving stuff has hit like lightning and not a single animal I've shot has gone more than 10 yards. I am only going to use one barrel and sell the other. Just having a hard time deciding.
That depends on velocity and altitude, i.e., 3100 FPS (or faster) at my 3300' altitude yields an SG of 1.51.

Go with what you want/need, not what others think you should have.

True...I think that's what I needed to hear. I was really hoping to have a one and done solution but I guess there's no one size fits all. The light, fast bullets in a 257 Weatherby were what drew me to it to begin with. Thanks!

True...I think that's what I needed to hear. I was really hoping to have a one and done solution but I guess there's no one size fits all. The light, fast bullets in a 257 Weatherby were what drew me to it to begin with. Thanks!
I am primarily heavy bullet for caliber, so the light and faster bullet setup are only secondary for me. Blaine of Black Hole Bullets is pushing the 145s pushed at 3018 FPS out of his .25-06 AI. The .257 WBY should be able to push it a bit faster. Below is the ballistic calculation using Berger's ballistic calculator and 3018 FPS MV and my alitutude.

1654362811479.png

Last edited:
My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!
Absolutely. I've run 6.5 124 Hammers at 3960 from a 1-6" twist with good results.

All manner of Hammer lightweights, in a variety of calibers with faster twists at extreme velocity have been tested without ill effect.

Many of us have come to prefer the faster twist.

I am primarily heavy bullet for caliber, so the light and faster bullet setup are only secondary for me. Blaine of Black Hole Bullets is pushing the 145s pushed at 3018 FPS out of his .25-06 AI. The .257 WBY should be able to push it a bit faster. Below is the ballistic calculation using Berger's using 3018 FPS MV and my alitutude.

View attachment 370032
You can not spin the Hammers too fast , with the 1-8 you can shoot the 90 gr absolute too the Heavier Hammers with great results . With all the new bullet offerings in monos and others you will be set with the 1-8 twist . Some are even going too a 1-7 twist . I just built a 25-284 with a 1-8 twist , and I am driving the 90 gr absolute Hammer recommended twist 1-10 at 3874 fps with great accuracy . The faster the better with monos light or heavy . I'm sure there will be others , chiming in on this post . That is my experience and others with Hammer bullets

You can not spin the Hammers too fast , with the 1-8 you can shoot the 90 gr absolute too the Heavier Hammers with great results . With all the new bullet offerings in monos and others you will be set with the 1-8 twist . Some are even going too a 1-7 twist . I just built a 25-284 with a 1-8 twist , and I am driving the 90 gr absolute Hammer recommended twist 1-10 at 3874 fps with great accuracy . The faster the better with monos light or heavy . I'm sure there will be others , chiming in on this post . That is my experience and others with Hammer bullets
Nowhere in my statements said you can or made any comparison; I simply noted the bullets I will be using. But like I said in #6, I am primarily heavy for caliber, and light and fast are only secondary. I have plenty of bullets, high BC mono, and cup/core on hand. Also, noted in #2 is my 1:7" barrel.

Last edited:
Dang... if that's the case I don't see a reason to NOT go with the 1 in 8. I think that would give me the widest range of possible bullets to use.
That would depend on the bullet you want to use for your intended purpose. Do not let anyone, including myself talk you into something you are uncomfortable with or do not meet your goal. Good luck and have fun with it.

Last edited:
That would depend on the bullet you want to you for your intended purpose. Do not let anyone, including myself talk you into something you are uncomfortable with or do not meet your goal. Good luck and have fun with it.
Not at all...I think the 1 in 8 twist gives me the widest range of bullet weights to achieve my goal. I should be able to run the light weight monos I wanted to use originally, but also dabble in the realm of the 257 heavies. I may not have fast enough twist to shoot the 130s-140s but I should get have no problem shooting all my Berger 115s and up into the high 120s on other bullets comfortably.

Last edited: