257 Weatherby Twist Rate

Still waiting to burn one of my barrels out…I'm going 1.7.5 when I get there
A 1-7.5 would be good I would have gone 1-7.5 or 1-7 but decided on the 1-8 it will cover any thing as heavy as I would ever shoot in a quarter bore . Even with the heavier cup and core or bonded bullets over 120 grs the 1-8 would be better than the 1-10 . The 1-10 limits you today with all of the new offerings especially with monos , it's a no brainer too me . The 1-7 twist in a 257 Weatherby with 117 gr Hammer bullets would be bad medicine. The 1-8 will work fine though a little more versatility. Op look at the 25 cal hammer bullets and they will show the minimum recommended twist , but they is the minimum faster the better.

Yeah, I checked Hammer's website, which led me here... it looks like the heaviest bullet they recommend with a minimum of 1 in 10 twist is the 104 heavy hammer hunter.

The first rifle I ever bought myself was the limited run stainless, fluted Remington 700 in 257 Weatherby mag. Have the rifle still but it needs a new barrel. I ordered a Bartlein carbon wrapped 5R twist in a 1 in 8 twist off their recommendation to run some heavier bullets. My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!
Berger says my 1:7 twist weatherby will be just fine even with the 115gr bullets. I can shoot the heavies, and solid construction lighter bullets like all copper and such.

I made a 1-7.5" pre fit for my tikka primarily to shoot 131 blackjacks. I have enough to last this barrels lifetime but I wouldn't mind also trying 133 elites, 135 LR or 145 black hole bullets as well. Good luck!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
True...I think that's what I needed to hear. I was really hoping to have a one and done solution but I guess there's no one size fits all. The light, fast bullets in a 257 Weatherby were what drew me to it to begin with. Thanks!
You can't over spin a Barnes or Hammer bullet. Yes to many thin cup/core bullets. I shoot Barnes 100TTSX at 3530fps. No issues other than instant death.

I have a 1 in 7 twist and shoot 80 grain Barnes TTSX bullets all the time with no issues at all. I am now beginning to use the light Hammers again with no issues. Cup and core bullets however… 100 grain Sierra's and down are mostly a disaster even the 117 frequently come apart at much above starting loads.

I am primarily heavy bullet for caliber, so the light and faster bullet setup are only secondary for me. Blaine of Black Hole Bullets is pushing the 145s pushed at 3018 FPS out of his .25-06 AI. The .257 WBY should be able to push it a bit faster. Below is the ballistic calculation using Berger's using 3018 FPS MV and my alitutude.

View attachment 370032
Wow. That thing retains a lot of energy! Ethical kill potential on elk or moose out to 750, if one was so inclined.