Fast twist .257 Weatherby

Dmagna

I want to shoot the hammer 128 in a .257 Weatherby. It needs a 1-7 twist for the bullet. Has anyone done this or would the speed just mess everything up?

Contact hammer about the twist. A wby case pushing 3400fps is a lot different than a 257 Roberts going 2900 fps. I bet you'd stabilize with a 7.5 or 8 especially if you're at any elevation. 131 ace at wby speeds goes well with 8 tw, bc is excellent at close to 350g7 and it kills well.

I'd say use a 7.5 twist. You'll get what you're looking for for the 128 Hammer, and the 131 will shoot too. Don't worry about the 131 not being a "hunting" bullet, it kills very nicely. I took a heavy white tail buck this last Saturday at 380yds. the bullet entered the near shoulder, expanded on the blade and blew up the lungs. a small piece of the shrapnel cut the inside of the far side ribs, but otherwise the bullets stopped completely within the animal. Impact velocity was approximately 2450fps and the deer soaked up 1800ft/lbs of energy. I'd call that pretty much ideal performance. The near side shoulder showed that the bullet clearly penetrated about 1.5-2in before opening, which kept it from totally destroying the shoulder. Use the ACE and don't worry.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.