1 in 7.5 Twist 257 Weatherby

Hornady also has a .257 134gr ELDM, hopefully hitting the shelves soon here. Thankfully we have a few options for fast twist .257

Hornady also has a .257 134gr ELDM, hopefully hitting the shelves soon here. Thankfully we have a few options for fast twist .257
Funny part no data in their new book on the bullet. I tried to talk to tech today about their intentions with this bullet and possible data but didn't get much of a response. Still I love ELD's X's and M's for my other guns.

Funny part no data in their new book on the bullet. I tried to talk to tech today about their intentions with this bullet and possible data but didn't get much of a response. Still I love ELD's X's and M's for my other guns.
They've got some info on their website. Probably won't see any load data for awhile but should be pretty similar to the Berger's.

Was able to "backorder" some from grafs so hopefully it's sooner rather than later

Email Berger and they will send you a screenshot with a bunch of load data on there bullets. Hammer will email you info too.

It has been a journey to get my 257 up and running, but it has been worth it. If it were me I would look at 2 bullets. 125gr Hammer and 135gr Berger Hybrid.

Don't waste alot of shots trying tons of stuff, this will be an 800-1200 round gun so don't waste shots.

Email Berger and they will send you a screenshot with a bunch of load data on there bullets. Hammer will email you info too.

It has been a journey to get my 257 up and running, but it has been worth it. If it were me I would look at 2 bullets. 125gr Hammer and 135gr Berger Hybrid.

Don't waste alot of shots trying tons of stuff, this will be an 800-1200 round gun so don't waste shots.
excellent advice! we are lucky to have Hogue's headquarters here locally with quiet little proshop attached, a while back they pointed out they've been setting on two boxes of the hybrids for at least a year I am going to call them today. but I hear you! pick a bullet and start the seating process. I've never really been a moly user but two old gents that are dear friends shoot a ton of prairie dogs with 250 Ackley's a bore scope inspection result is impressive. that being said best to stick with what you know and keep it basic, this different animal and I am sworn to be using it long range on coyotes. Thanks again.

Range report from today. We went to the range to check how my 128gr Hammer load was going to shoot at longer distances, and I loaded 135gr Bergers in front of a new powder just to see if a powder change would help them. The Berger load is literally just a tester load and I can say I think they tested well.

The hammers were very accurate and the Bergers were no slouch.

These groups are at 500 yards.
Hammers are over top of H1000
Bergers are over RL26
The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard that was rebarreled by Oregon Mountain Rifles with a 26" Carbon wrapped barrel and brake and the stock and bedding work was done by Axisworks. I think it will shoot...👍

Attachments

• 20221230_095300.jpg
    20221230_095300.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 54
  • 20221230_095304.jpg
    20221230_095304.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 20200618_171704.jpg
    20200618_171704.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 78
Range report from today. We went to the range to check how my 128gr Hammer load was going to shoot at longer distances, and I loaded 135gr Bergers in front of a new powder just to see if a powder change would help them. The Berger load is literally just a tester load and I can say I think they tested well.

Bergers are over RL26
The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard that was rebarreled by Oregon Mountain Rifles with a 26" Carbon wrapped barrel and brake and the stock and bedding work was done by Axisworks. I think it will shoot...👍
Awesome after this chassis build my old Mark V could use that same love! I am really hoping I am heading that same direction that is impressive and all one could expect! lucky I just came across 8lbs. of 1000. also have 26 on hand too! I'll start looking for those hammers.

+1 on contacting Berger Tech Support; they have always been accommodating whenever I contact them. Below is what I got from Phil:

1672494124527.png

+1 on contacting Berger Tech Support; they have always been accommodating whenever I contact them. Below is what I got from Phil:

View attachment 423290
That list is newer than the one I got from Berger awhile back, and i would guess has some room for work up. The old list didn't include RL26.

I used a RL26 load charge that i got from Blackjack for the 131gr ACE and their starting load with RL26 is above Bergers max load.

My rifle didn't show major pressure with the RL26 at 66grs which is 2 gr above Bergers max. It did group well though.

My bullets are also seated way farther out than their COAL. I have mine at 3.43" currently on the Berger, and 3.50" on the hammers. The hammers are loaded as long as I can and still fit them in the magazine.

Thank you very much. This is what I was thinking but I just wanted to get some opinions to make sure I was clear. This is my first 257 Weatherby. I have always wanted one and decided that I am going to build one. I have a Defiance Tenacity Action in the safe and Manners Stock MCS-T stock ordered for it, just deciding on what barrel to do.
hey just wanted to know how that build went I too am setting on a tenacity action and a .257/1-7.5 proof research barrel I think I am set on a Weatherby I own a MV already and have lots of brass. did you go with the saami long free bore or shorten type? also who chambered it for you any info on the reamer used too? I too want to shoot the new longer heavier bullets that are out. thanks for any input.

hey just wanted to know how that build went I too am setting on a tenacity action and a .257/1-7.5 proof research barrel I think I am set on a Weatherby I own a MV already and have lots of brass. did you go with the saami long free bore or shorten type? also who chambered it for you any info on the reamer used too? I too want to shoot the new longer heavier bullets that are out. thanks for any input.
Mine was done by Oregon Mountain Rifles. The throat seems pretty long, but I am not sure it is is past the normal long Weatherby freebore.

Axisworks I am sure can put that together for you as well. They are awesome?

Thank you very much. This is what I was thinking but I just wanted to get some opinions to make sure I was clear. This is my first 257 Weatherby. I have always wanted one and decided that I am going to build one. I have a Defiance Tenacity Action in the safe and Manners Stock MCS-T stock ordered for it, just deciding on what barrel to do.
I can almost shove a 120 partition nosler out of the case mouth in my MV I tapped a fire formed cartridge and was shocked when using the Hornady gauge and has always shot great. thanks for your input much appreciated.

Bergers are over RL26
hey 134 ELDM's are out you have any powder data worthy to try ? Thanks