257 Weatherby Twist Rate

That you'll over spin a Barnes or Hammer bullet. Sierra or Berger, yes.
Nowhere did I say that. I think you misconstrued my response. The OP asked ...
My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!
... and my response ...
Yes, it will, but it depends highly on the bullet's construction.
Also, see my #10 post.

Last edited:
Absolutely. I've run 6.5 124 Hammers at 3960 from a 1-6" twist with good results.

All manner of Hammer lightweights, in a variety of calibers with faster twists at extreme velocity have been tested without ill effect.

Many of us have come to prefer the faster twist.
May I ask what 6.5 your getting that kinda speed from
Definitely interested in the data

I had no stabilization problems shooting 95 Vmax and 100 gr. Speer HP out of a .260 Rem with 1/8. It shoots 123 Amax extremely well. All over Varget ( if you can find any)

I extensively use Berger Vldh 115 on my 257, Krieger 1/10, mv 953 m/sec, perfectly stable and tested up to 600 m. Caliber is 255GS

The first rifle I ever bought myself was the limited run stainless, fluted Remington 700 in 257 Weatherby mag. Have the rifle still but it needs a new barrel. I ordered a Bartlein carbon wrapped 5R twist in a 1 in 8 twist off their recommendation to run some heavier bullets. My question is with a 1 in 8 twist could I still run the lighter 100 to 104 grain stuff like the Barnes TTSX and the Hammers or would it spin them too fast? Thanks for y'alls help!
You cannot over spin the mono's, cup and core you can. So the ones you mention should do fantastic. Have fun!