Trimming Bergers for hunting?

OG-danimal

Does anybody run their Berger bullets through a trimmer before hunting? Seems like the this would help some of the unreliable expansion issues, but I'm not sure how it would effect BC and down range performance/accuracy. Especially in the 156 EOL that seems to have mixed reviews. Thanks

Interesting. I need to add reloading steps like I need an ***hole on my elbow. I was a Berger guy for many years and switched over to bonded and/or monos to alleviate poor expansion or over expansion and lack of penetration. I like Bergers a lot, but they stay at the range and kill paper or steel nowadays for me. If you have to modify the bullet to function as advertised on game, why use it all in the field?

Just my $0.02, but I think it's worth considering.

Why? they work perfect as is and yes you would affect BC. Just load the 156 and watch critters drop.

I've run Bergers for several years and only had one that failed to perform as expected. After that, I invested in meplat trimmers and 1mm drill bits. They still shoot into little bitty groups and kill critters like they've been struck by lightning.
What trimmer and how much are you trimming the meplat? Any BC issues?

MCR uniforming tools from MidwayUSA:
I have 2, one .284 and one .308. I trim the nose of the bullet about the width of a business card - so not much at all. After I square the nose, I drill each bullet with a 1mm drill bit enough to know that I'm past the copper that forms the nose. As far as BC issues, I haven't noticed any adverse impact. By that I mean that I haven't had to change the dope on my scopes since I started this process. If there is a slight change, and there might be, those changes seem to be well within the accuracy of my rifles which are pretty darn good and me as a shooter - no doubt the largest source of error in any of this...

Does anybody run their Berger bullets through a trimmer before hunting? Seems like the this would help some of the unreliable expansion issues, but I'm not sure how it would effect BC and down range performance/accuracy. Especially in the 156 EOL that seems to have mixed reviews. Thanks
Yes, the 156 gr EOL's do have,.. "Mixed Reviews" !
You would need to, Drive the 156's Faster than either, the 6.5 Creed or, 6.5 PRC cart's "can" to get, RELIABLE Expansion and "consistent", DRT, Kills.
The 140 gr. Elites at 3,100 FPS or 140 gr. Classic Hunters in, a .270 WSM at, 3,200 FPS, ARE,.. much, MUCH better, Bullets, in My Family's, Opinion !
And YES, we've tested, THEM.
Berger Hunting 140's, PLUS "good, Velocity" just,.. "Kills"

Last edited:
I've used the MCR to trim 300 berger otm and 245 eol bullets. At close range I had one 245 seem like it had rapid explansion but still killed just as quick as any of the others. But at extended ranges it has show to leave massive exit wounds when avoiding shoulders and strictly going through vitals. We are talking 2-4" exits at 500-600yds. I have since gone away from that and just use a pin drill to clear the tips. I wouldn't say one kills any faster than the other, but I was always impressed with the wound channels of the trimmed meplat bullets. I went minimal and only took .005-.007" off.

300 berger at 500yds with the snout

245 berger at 576yds with the fist

Both trimmed meplats. Bullets with just the pin drill clean out have been half the size exits.
IMG_6286.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg

I can't say enough good about Berger bullets. I shoot the 195 EOL out of my 28 nosler and it has absolutely hammered everything it's ever touched.