215 berger trimming

I would not use a hollow point that has been pointed for hunting. In SidecarFlip's post where he explains how he "points" his bullets it sounds more like uniforming and opening up of the meplat.
Ok, maybe I read it wrong. If that's the case then I apologize. Think I got hung up on the term "pointing".
Pointing in a die is one thing, uniforming meplats is another. You can do both.

Ok, maybe I read it wrong. If that's the case then I apologize. Think I got hung up on the term "pointing".
Pointing in a die is one thing, uniforming meplats is another. You can do both.
I think that's where everyone in this thread got confused. I read pointing and thought the same thing.

I would agree that if you want to take the time to trim and point that it will make a more consistent bullet, you control the amount you repoint, there are guys who feel it does them good so rock on.
Personally I'll blow across the tip and listen to the sound or put a needle in and sort the odd balls to targets and then hunt the rest.
My dad uses a small drill the a sharp point dremen tool to give the a slight chamfer.
What ever floats your boat and makes you confident in the bullet and has it functioning how you want.

I use .75 mm to .9mm depending on caliber. About .029" to .035".
I chuck the bit in my drill and run the bullets into the bit. I tumble my bullets in HBN and it tends to slightly close the tips... but usually uniforms them a bit.

Question for you experienced hunters with the 215 berger. Are you guys trimming the meplat in those bullets for hunting? They look excellent out of the box unlike most of the 300 otm tips which I trim and think is mandatory for use on game for optimal results. I know the 215 is a killing machine but didn't know if it was necessary to trim the meplat on them like the 300 otm bullet. Please share experiences and at what ranges the bullet performed with or without a trimmed meplat.

I have no problem maintaining less than .5 vertical at 1000 yards with 215s out of the box. I personally would not and do not waste my time trimming meplats. I have been less than impressed with the performance of pointed bullets.

Sinclair don't make that trimmer anymore.
I bough a bunch of Barnes TSX years ago and most all the hollow points are buggered up so I need a tool to un-bugger the hollow points.
rfurman24 I will load some that are buggered up and give them a try and see they are (1) still accurate
(2) will they open up properly
If they pass the test I will shoot them
Old Rooster

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.