215 Berger

tenor.gif

Edit - Forgot, I'm shooting them out of a 300 WSM, 2810 MV, around half MOA at 550 yards.

I'm curious how deep you are seating 300 WSM? Is the bullet below the case neck : shoulder?
[/QUOTE]
I'll measure tonight, but yes it's down a ways. I can tell you in my Savage 12 BVSS I have no pressure signs and my groups have stayed around a .5-.6 MOA at 550 yards. I shot at Whittington a month ago and my 1K groups vertically were 1 MOA to 1.25 MOA. Now me reading the wind was a challenge, which I'm working on. My overall was 2.25 MOA on 27 of 31 on Target. Not trying to say anything but that the seating depth seems to have only the slightest effect.

I really dropped my COAL when I got my Oryx chassis. Before the Oryx, I was loading at the same point as the 190 VLD Berger off of the ogive. This relegated my rifle to a single shot or two shot at best. Once I got the Oryx and the MDT metal mags I did extensive testing in getting below 2.950 OAL so it would work with the MDT magazines in my rifle. My SD has been less than 8 and my ES is 7, shot in October of last year with the current settings for 215 depth. I did a lot of testing with various brass to get my load. I use the Nosler/Norma brass now exclusively. Gives me best ES by a mile. I can say the 215 Hybrid has not been finicky in any way in regards to seating depth and consistency.

Your Mileage May Vary

I'm curious how deep you are seating 300 WSM? Is the bullet below the case neck : shoulder?
I'll measure tonight, but yes it's down a ways. I can tell you in my Savage 12 BVSS I have no pressure signs and my groups have stayed around a .5-.6 MOA at 550 yards. I shot at Whittington a month ago and my 1K groups vertically were 1 MOA to 1.25 MOA. Now me reading the wind was a challenge, which I'm working on. My overall was 2.25 MOA on 27 of 31 on Target. Not trying to say anything but that the seating depth seems to have only the slightest effect.

I really dropped my COAL when I got my Oryx chassis.
[/QUOTE]

Are you getting donuts at the case neck : shoulder?

I ask because I recently bought a barely used 1st year (2001) M70 300 WSM Featherweight and am doing load development with 180 Scirocco II. I have some jumps loaded that have bullet bearing surface below the neck : shoulder. I haven't noticed any donut on the 20 rounds I've fired but am watching for them.

I really dropped my COAL when I got my Oryx chassis.

Are you getting donuts at the case neck : shoulder?

I ask because I recently bought a barely used 1st year (2001) M70 300 WSM Featherweight and am doing load development with 180 Scirocco II. I have some jumps loaded that have bullet bearing surface below the neck : shoulder. I haven't noticed any donut on the 20 rounds I've fired but am watching for them.
[/QUOTE]

None, absolutely zero. I had some nickel federal cases, some nickel winchester cases, winchester brass cases that had at least 10 reloads when I started the 215/Mag length change. They all had shot at least 800 to 1,000 of the 215 berger. I had 200 cases so that would be 4-6 reloads before the testing of case length in the Mag. I just retired most of that brass due to some testing of velocity and ES. They all had a couple of reloads for the move to the Oryx, all 215 Berger. That's where the Nosler/Norma brass change over came about. I have yet to lose a single case or see a donut, case neck failure, or even loose primer pocket. I use H4831SC and Federal 215M Match grade Magnum Large Rifle primers.

I do de-prime only, then anneal via salt bath after each firing, then full length resize with just a shoulder bump back that was set for a smooth bolt close. Mine is a heavier barrel, .8 something and is a 26" tube.

Actually I would look at the Berger 245gr also, some guys have been loading them in the 300PRC with some impressive results. There area couple threads you can see on LRO web sight. I just received some 245's yesterday and will be trying them in my 30-28 Nosler soon. When you run the numbers its an impressive bullet even in these cases.

The 245 is an impressive beast.

I'm waiting to run an 18-20 inch barreled short mag. If I could get 2600 out of it that would mean 2000 fps at 600 yards and sea level and out to 800 yards at 7000 feet.

Very impressive numbers. Need to talk to Rich about a sherman max.

I'm picturing a defiance an-ti, 18 inch proof with a thunderbeast adapter and a traditional styled carbon fiber stock.... dang I need a 🚬

Last edited:
I've only used them on black bear with my 300 WM. The 215 hybrids were absolutely lethal. Personally I won't use them on deer as I have other options which I'm pretty sure will leave me more meat. The 215 hybrids are my go to in both my 300 WM GAP rifles. I would have no qualms about using them on elk based on my experience with bear and from what I have read on this forum. Before I switched to the 300 WM for bear, I had a rather disappointing experience with 165 nolser AB on a bear but have never had a problem since with the 215s.
What kind of an issue did you have with the Accubond?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.