215 Berger

I have killed both elk and whitetail with the 215 berger out of a 300 wm using Broz's recommendation for reamer and loads. It's getting some amazing velocity being right at 3100 fps. It's a hammer on both animals. I suspect the 300 prc to be just as good.

They work! Son shot an elk at 570 yards and took 5 steps and tipped over. Shot mule deer and speed goats that did not know what hit them. This was with 300WM and not a PRC

I haven't killed or seen as many killed as Jeff but **** close the are amazing. I keep think I am gonna switch to 230 in my RUM and I can't do it.
Cow elk @1330 bang flop. Hi off the top tip of shoulder 30 in baseball out.
I shoot the 230's in my 30 Sherman and I am thinking of going to the 215 because you can't beat them till you pass 1k maybe in my RUM
215 @3192 vs 230 at 3055
You can't go wrong with the 215

I've only used them on black bear with my 300 WM. The 215 hybrids were absolutely lethal. Personally I won't use them on deer as I have other options which I'm pretty sure will leave me more meat. The 215 hybrids are my go to in both my 300 WM GAP rifles. I would have no qualms about using them on elk based on my experience with bear and from what I have read on this forum. Before I switched to the 300 WM for bear, I had a rather disappointing experience with 165 nolser AB on a bear but have never had a problem since with the 215s.

Again thank you all for responding. Great info here. I'm always very pleased when I'm seeking to expand my knowledge. I'll be ordering the 215 soon.

215 Berger @ 3100 from a .300RUM. Bull elk, uphill, 432 yards, broke onside shoulder and a vertebrae. Stopped just under offside skin. Only one I have recovered. All the rest passed through after killing the bulls.
View attachment 204681
View attachment 204682
View attachment 204683
View attachment 204684
View attachment 204685
Does cutting v notches in the mouth of McDonalds straw help prevent dropping multiple kernals when trickle/topping off desired charge weight?

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a 300prc that is mainly going to be used for larger game like elk, moose, and bear. I am looking hard at the 215 Berger as my bullet. I've read through many post and websites and they are either loved or hated.

I am looking for people who have first hand knowledge with them on large game. My question for y'all is if I end up a little forward and hit the shoulder, will the bullet break through it and make it to the vitals or separate on impact and not get inside the chest cavity?

Thank you in advance for any info.
Daniel
Check out YouTube the Real Gunsmith on bullets .Than you decide if you want to use them .

I've shot a lot of deer and a few coyotes with the 215 outa a 300wsm. I've never had a problem with it.

Check out YouTube the Real Gunsmith on bullets .Than you decide if you want to use them .
I have and those guys are not into long-range. I have also talk to Randy and we have had some heated conversation about it they don't think an animal should be shoot past 600 yards and in all honesty I agree if you don't practice and know what you are doing, but for those of us that do and understand are limits the bullets he recommends won't do the job. Remember this is a long-range site.

Well I just ordered the bullets. They should be here in the next week or so. Thank you for all the info, it is much appreciated. I'm a couple years out from an elk hunt but I live in south central Texas so there are plenty of hogs to be taken. I will be able to stretch them out across fields as soon as the corn is cut.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.