215 berger trimming

Quicksilver338

Question for you experienced hunters with the 215 berger. Are you guys trimming the meplat in those bullets for hunting? They look excellent out of the box unlike most of the 300 otm tips which I trim and think is mandatory for use on game for optimal results. I know the 215 is a killing machine but didn't know if it was necessary to trim the meplat on them like the 300 otm bullet. Please share experiences and at what ranges the bullet performed with or without a trimmed meplat.

not at all. there is a 320 bull elk that will attest to that I will say the meplats on Berger pills have improved over the years from the melted ice cream cone look to more uniform meplat but I still point them all. I want consistent BC's. Not just Bergers either. I point everything I load, no matter who swaged the pill.

Last edited:
Well this is even better news! Any info on how much it increased the BC by tipping it? I've eyeballed the system for awhile...

Well this is even better news! Any info on how much it increased the BC by tipping it? I've eyeballed the system for awhile...
Not a lot, couple points but I'm after consistency more than BC. John Whidden makes my custom dies as well. All my hunting sticks reload with Whidden bushing dies an I machine my own bushings from drill rod. Have always been very happy with Whidden products. Not cheap but then quality never comes cheap.

I do a ton of prep work from case annealing to measuring volume to weighing pills for consistency, all for consistent and repeatable downrange ballistics

I do not trim the 215s Meplat. I shoot it as it is. BUT I would take The advice above mine as far as making sure the hollow point is clear of obstructions.

There is no way I would recommend pointing a Bullet that is intended to be used for hunting. Period. End of story. Why? You are taking Away the hollow that is needed to take in tissue from the Animal To Open the bullet up to get expansion.

Why do you think some guess Have problems with expansion and the bullet pencils right through? And these are in box stock bullets. Hence the reason for making sure the tips are clear. Pointing them only close the tip up. Bad plan. No question about it.

I do not trim the 215s Meplat. I shoot it as it is. BUT I would take The advice above mine as far as making sure the hollow point is clear of obstructions.

There is no way I would recommend pointing a Bullet that is intended to be used for hunting. Period. End of story. Why? You are taking Away the hollow that is needed to take in tissue from the Animal To Open the bullet up to get expansion.

Why do you think some guess Have problems with expansion and the bullet pencils right through? And these are in box stock bullets. Hence the reason for making sure the tips are clear. Pointing them only close the tip up. Bad plan. No question about it.

Whatever blows your dress up.

I'll do it my way, you do it yours. I chuck mine is a suitable collet in one of my lathes and use a wire size drill myself.

My methods seem to work just fine as I reload for 4 different hunters and they are all happy. So am i.

With that, I'm done commenting. Not here to argue. Been doing this stuff for a long time with excellent results.

You asked, I explained and now I'm done. Have a nice day...

Whatever blows your dress up.

I'll do it my way, you do it yours. I chuck mine is a suitable collet in one of my lathes and use a wire size drill myself.

My methods seem to work just fine as I reload for 4 different hunters and they are all happy. So am i.

With that, I'm done commenting. Not here to argue. Been doing this stuff for a long time with excellent results.

You asked, I explained and now I'm done. Have a nice day...
Not needing to know how your do your process, or am I saying you're doing it wrong since it seems to be working for you. But perhaps the way you are tipping almost creates a weak point in the tip so it shreds on contact allowing the rest of the bullet to do its job? Just thinking out of the box and out loud.

I think NEMTHunter was talking pointing, as in closing the meplat. SidecarFlip was calling his method of cleaning and uniforming the hole in the meplat "pointing"

I think NEMTHunter was talking pointing, as in closing the meplat. SidecarFlip was calling his method of cleaning and uniforming the hole in the meplat "pointing"
I'm reading that as the opposite. I always check to make sure the tip is open with a small drill bit as others stated. Pointing the bullet in a die is doing the exact opposite, you are closing the tip. I too would not recommend for hunting.
Which would you choose for hunting...a bullet that has a hollow tip, or potential full metal jacket?

Attachments

• D99DB2B7-1EE4-4D58-B6DC-2BF7ABDA5FE2.jpeg
    D99DB2B7-1EE4-4D58-B6DC-2BF7ABDA5FE2.jpeg
    19.1 KB · Views: 225
I'm reading that as the opposite. I always check to make sure the tip is open with a small drill bit as others stated. Pointing the bullet in a die is doing the exact opposite, you are closing the tip. I too would not recommend for hunting.
Which would you choose for hunting...a bullet that has a hollow tip, or potential full metal jacket?
I would not use a hollow point that has been pointed for hunting. In SidecarFlip's post where he explains how he "points" his bullets it sounds more like uniforming and opening up of the meplat.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.