H1000 and 215 berger

I may try another batch of h1000 and see. I have heard of others that have had issues. We will see how this imr 7977 works out. I've done good brass prep. Run-out is usually always under .004" with Winchester brass.

I think you just haven't found the right load yet. If the rifle has shot other bullets into sub 1/2 MOA groups, then it will certainly shoot the 215 Hybrids that well too. When you load up the IMR 7977, I would start at the middle of the recommended charge weight and work up to max in 0.3gr increments. Load one round each at each charge weight and chrono every one of them. You'll find your velocity "node" doing this. You're looking for a couple charge weights that produce very close velocities but are 0.3-0.6gr different. If you load in the middle of those two, you have a very good chance of having a load with a low ES. Then from there work on seat length. If 0.030 was your sweet spot before, retest it. Then load 3 each in 0.005 in and out seat lengths and shoot groups to find what it likes.

As others suggested, test primers too. I never thought they made a difference until i experienced it first hand. I tried Winchester Mag primers in my .308 Norma and ES was terrible, like 35-50fps. I switched to Fed 215s and ES dropped to 12-19 FPS and I tested it multiple times to verify. On the other hand, my Dads 7mmRM had inconsistent ES with Gold Medals Fed 215s. He kept the same load, went to Remington 9 1/2s and the ES stays 21 or under. It might pay to test it for yourself.

Last edited:
Dont get hung up on ES and SD, let the target tell you. Take your best H1000 load and try some 215 primers then your best seating depth and then play with neck tension.

Last edited:
I think you just haven't found the right load yet. If the rifle has shot other bullets into sub 1/2 MOA groups, then it will certainly shoot the 215 Hybrids that well too. When you load up the IMR 7977, I would start at the middle of the recommended charge weight and work up to max in 0.3gr increments. Load one round each at each charge weight and chrono every one of them. You'll find your velocity "node" doing this. You're looking for a couple charge weights that produce very close velocities but are 0.3-0.6gr different. If you load in the middle of those two, you have a very good chance of having a load with a low ES. Then from there work on seat length. If 0.030 was your sweet spot before, retest it. Then load 3 each in 0.005 in and out seat lengths and shoot groups to find what it likes.

As others suggested, test primers too. I never thought they made a difference until i experienced it first hand. I tried Winchester Mag primers in my .308 Norma and ES was terrible, like 35-50fps. I switched to Fed 215s and ES dropped to 12-19 FPS and I tested it multiple times to verify. On the other hand, my Dads 7mmRM had inconsistent ES with Gold Medals Fed 215s. He kept the same load, went to Remington 9 1/2s and the ES stays 21 or under. It might pay to test it for yourself.

Yep this is exactly how I do my load development. Satterlee test and then shoot for groups inside of the solid nodes

Looking for info on h1000 and 215 Bergers. Has anyone else had issues with accuracy. Rifle is a r700 with a bartlein barrel. I ran 74-77 gr. With cci250. Best group was where to be expected 77 gr shot around .8 moa. Other groups where 1.25-1.75. I shot some h4831sc and it shot a .6" 4 shot group at 72 gr. This was just a random load. Im looking for others that have experienced less then optimal accuracy with H1000. What powder did you turn too? I'm afraid H4831sc might just not get the velocity I want. Also this is a hunting rifle so temp stability is fairly important. One other question. This particular jug of h1000 had been in my garage for about a year heating up and cooling down. Not sure if it's worth trying a fresh lot of powder. Any insight would be great.
H1000 with Berger 180 in 7 Rem Mag. Still working on it.
upload_2019-8-28_11-19-57.jpeg

It seems I might not have anything to add to this discussion. my only thought would have been 1:10" twist should not give good results to the 215 grain Bergers. now I know it is a 1:9" twist it should stabilize the 215's. the H-1000 issue sounds like the gun just does not like H-1000's pressure curve and it makes for bad harmonics in the barrel. I have lots of it in my stores but I rarely ever use it anymore when I have H-4831SSC and IMR-4350 and H-4350. Bergers just work better at slightly lower velocities so I never worried about giving up a few feet per second. I have a friend that uses H-1000 for his 300 W/M and has great results (Rem 700 R-5 rifled barrel) Me, I have a Sako 995 and it just loves 175 through 190 grain Berger VLD Hunters so that is what it gets. The powder has always been H-4831 SSC. next barrel will get a 1:8" or 1:7" twist barrel. UMMM, I just checked Berger's website and I can not find 215 grain hunting slugs? I found 210 but no 215.. now I am confused.

my old mut barrel loved the 215 with H-1000 and cci-250LRM primers 26inch and now the new barrel 28 inch Proof 1in 9 loves the same load first group out of the new barrel after 20 rounds brake in with factory ammo and this was with 1 year old loads for the old barrel so I did not change anything plus vel picked up after 100 rounds, vel is now 3028

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    385.5 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
I settled on 72 grains of RL 26 and 215 Bergers seated .010 off the lands with CCI 250 primers. Velocity averaged 2941 fps.

Looking for info on h1000 and 215 Bergers. Has anyone else had issues with accuracy. Rifle is a r700 with a bartlein barrel. I ran 74-77 gr. With cci250. Best group was where to be expected 77 gr shot around .8 moa. Other groups where 1.25-1.75. I shot some h4831sc and it shot a .6" 4 shot group at 72 gr. This was just a random load. Im looking for others that have experienced less then optimal accuracy with H1000. What powder did you turn too? I'm afraid H4831sc might just not get the velocity I want. Also this is a hunting rifle so temp stability is fairly important. One other question. This particular jug of h1000 had been in my garage for about a year heating up and cooling down. Not sure if it's worth trying a fresh lot of powder. Any insight would be great.

Load H4831 to 2850 fps and then fine tune with seating depth adjustments.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'll add my experience with similar problems.
I started load development with h-1000 and 300 win mag.
Couldn't get the results I was looking for , and went to imr 4831.
That worked out fairly well.
Then on a whim one day I loaded up some random loads with h-1000 and the only primers I didn't try on my attempts previously.
Rem 9 1/2 mag primers was the missing link.
Believe it or not, rem 9 1/2 non mag primers were even better. Now that's my load with Nosler ablr and Berger 215 hybrids, in a 10 twist factory rem barrel.

My 24" Remington 700 Milspec shot .5MOA with the Berger 215's using 76gr H1000/Fed215M but velocity was low at 2840FPS. Switched to 79gr Retumbo and improved velocity to 2900FPS with sub.5MOA groups. I seated the 215 at .020" off the lands.

If 7977 still doesn't find a load with the 215 why not try the 212eldx. I've shot 4 elk and two moose and it worked very well.

I've been working at getting 180eldm in a 7mm proof barrel, finally backed off the lands and went up to 70.5 gr of h1000 and they're shooting very well. If there's a really slow node there's probably a fast node if you can get to it

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.