H1000 and 215 berger

I will check my notes when I get home but I think 10, 30, 60 and 90. I think 30 won but I'll check

I will check my notes when I get home but I think 10, 30, 60 and 90. I think 30 won but I'll check
I would really consider tuning your seating depth a little more. If 0.030 off shot the best, but you're still not satisfied, I would try 0.020 off, 0.025 off, 0.035 off, 0.040 off and 0.045 off. That's only 15 more shots, and saves you from buying a new powder and starting all over with load development.

My bad. I would still experiment with those seat lengths I listed with whatever powder you test next. I have been surprised by how much as little as 0.005 seat length can change my groups. In my opinion, seat length is more important for groups than powder burn rate or powder charge.

My bad. I would still experiment with those seat lengths I listed with whatever powder you test next. I have been surprised by how much as little as 0.005 seat length can change my groups. In my opinion, seat length is more important for groups than powder burn rate or powder charge.
O really? Thats good to know. I went ahead and bought the imr. We will see what happens. It will be awhile till i can get them loaded, and shot but we will see. I'm requiring a .5 moa or better load with 3 shots consistently which shouldn't be too hard id think.

O really? Thats good to know. I went ahead and bought the imr. We will see what happens. It will be awhile till i can get them loaded, and shot but we will see. I'm requiring a .5 moa or better load with 3 shots consistently which shouldn't be too hard id think.
I think you can easily achieve that. Some powders just wont shoot with certain bullets or certain barrels. I would first find your powder node with IMR 7977 and shoot the most consistent load on paper with the same seat length you have been using. If groups are still not where you want them to be, then I would start seating your bullet in or out 0.005 at a time until your groups tighten up. I never had a problem in the past just seating bullets 0.005-0.020 off the lands with long, high BC bullets, until recently with my Dads factory Remington 7mm Rem Mag and my semi custom .284 Winchester. Oddly enough, they both shot the best with the bullets 0.050 off. This surprised both of us, and it just proves to try things outside the normal or what's typical from your experiences.

I would really consider tuning your seating depth a little more. If 0.030 off shot the best, but you're still not satisfied, I would try 0.020 off, 0.025 off, 0.035 off, 0.040 off and 0.045 off. That's only 15 more shots, and saves you from buying a new powder and starting all over with load development.

Have a friend that his was I believe 30 -40 ths off the lands was his sweet spot. But I'll say this a lot of people shoot h1000 with 215s and are happy. Including me.
Rl 23,26 are good powders and n565-570

4831sc was accurate but my ES was high and I take that because case fill was lacking.

One last thing have you went back and checked you basics. Bullet sorted, cases rechecked on bullet interference to brass, runout, etc.
Is You gun and everything with it secure. Reason I ask seen a lot of people chase there tails over the simple stuff.

Last edited:
Have a friend that his was I believe 30 -40 ths off the lands was his sweet spot. But I'll say this a lot of people shoot h1000 with 215s and are happy. Including me.
Rl 23,26 are good powders and n565-570

4831sc was accurate but my ES was high and I take that because case fill was lacking.

One last thing have you went back and checked you basics. Bullet sorted, cases rechecked on bullet interference to brass, runout, etc.
Is You gun and everything with it secure. Reason I ask seen a lot of people chase there tails over the simple stuff.

Can you explain the cases rechecked on bullet interference?

The gun shoots good. It shot with h4831sc a .6" group at 100 with no load development just loaded up 72 gr and shot it. Also has shot the 200 eldx good with several groups in the .2's and 3's. I've checked torque on all screws

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.