Berger VLD match for hunting?

People with this ammo shortage, I will have to go hunting Aoudad sheep with a 7mm rem mag and Berger's VLD Match 168 bullets
The question is, am I making I mistake?
I'd read already some post, old post, that talks about good results hunting with VLD match and Hybrid Berger bullets
I think you are good to go. Shoot what you have, because not only will it work, it will work well. I have more kills that have dropped in their tracks with Berger VLD and Hybrids than any other type of bullet. I really like the way they shoot and that confidence is worth quite a bit in a hunting scenario. I use the ones that have tips that look suspect for load work up or range practice.

I think you are good to go. Shoot what you have, because not only will it work, it will work well. I have more kills that have dropped in their tracks with Berger VLD and Hybrids than any other type of bullet. I really like the way they shoot and that confidence is worth quite a bit in a hunting scenario. I use the ones that have tips that look suspect for load work up or range practice.
Additionally, I am starting to really love the Hornady ATips for hunting as well. Also not a "hunting" bullet, but it flies so well and hits so hard at extreme ranges.

I think we, on this forum, are the type of hunters who are trying to control all of the variables. And therefore can overthink things a bit. Accuracy trumps everything else, or at least it should. Shoot what works in your rifle, or in this case what you have, or can find. We are so blessed today to have so many good options (when in stock ;-).

I should also state that I don't shoot shoulders. And I am very intrigued by Hammers. I have some to try, just haven't been able to work a load up with them yet. They seem awesome and are in stock more frequently.

Guys, since several of you have mentioned Rem CoreLokt bullets, did you know that according to game records, these bullets have killed more deer and elk out to 300 yards in the US than all other bullets COMBINED since the 1950's! They are the bullet all others are compared to!

The hybrids are supposed to have thicker jackets correct? From what I hear anyway.
What about the hunters (classic hunters) do those have thicker jackets as well?

And then there is this right here on our forum:

Keep the bullets moving above the listed FPS recommended by the manufacturer for expansion and hit the boiler room. I have killed lots of animals with the 180 grain Hybrid our of my LRM out to 851 yards. I would recommend that you stay away form heavy bone shots no matter what bullets you are using as to many things can go wrong when heavy bone is contacted. JMO. Many on here have killed animals considerably farther than my longest kill with ELD-M's, Matchkings, Berger Target Bullets etc. I personally have never lost an animal because of the bullet I chose but maybe because of the shot I took. Be confident in what you shoot and don't shoot beyond your capabilities and everything will be fine. Good luck and I look forward to seeing your Aoudad

I have personally killed a 373" bull elk, several cow elk and a spike bull with the Berger 168's (2845 FPS) shot out of a 7mm Magnum. I have had many clients use my gun to shoot their elk (both bulls and cows) due to the fact that their experience and confidence with their own weapons fell short of making accurate shots at more than 300-400 yards. Vital zone hits are the most effective with this bullets and most shots inside of 500 yards in the vitals resulted in bang flop kills. Stay away from high shoulder shots as they often result in multiple shot kills. JMHO based on real life experience with this bullet. Good luck.

2D33A2F8-DBEF-41A9-8CC3-E884BA7DB364.jpeg

They do work 😎

People with this ammo shortage, I will have to go hunting Aoudad sheep with a 7mm rem mag and Berger's VLD Match 168 bullets
The question is, am I making I mistake?
I'd read already some post, old post, that talks about good results hunting with VLD match and Hybrid Berger bullets
Your shooting a large goat. Kind of like shooting a deer. Any bullet you shoot it with that weighs 168gr at 2900fps will kill it easily. I am not a Booger fan for animals at all, and it will work for what you intend to do with it.

It seems that most of the concern here is about penetration, accuracy, and bullet type. Logically, go to a heavier bullet if you need more penetration, or to a solid-core type bullet. Target-type bullets are usually more solid than cap-&-core hunting bullets, but don't open up much. Bonded semi-solid bullets like the Nosler Partition try to do both. If you are shooting a traditional cap & core hunting bullet, avoid the shoulder and target the lungs and heart instead! All bullets can work under ideal conditions, but some are much better than others! Be prepared, and use the correct bullet for your needs and style!