300 RUM 210gr VLD Hunting ammo

Clubhunter

I was trying to enter the data to my ballistics program using the ammo above from The Hunting Shack. On their web site they have all the ballistic info but when it came to this particular one it seemed off as compared to the 300 Weatherby. With the two compared calibers, the RUM is about 100-200 fps faster in the 168 and 185. In the 210 the mv for the RUM is 3010 and the Weatherby is 3030.
I sent THS an email asking if this was correct and they responded yes. Now I don't know if it's some clerk who just looked at the same info I looked at and just quoted that or if they really looked into it. Does this sound right? Do any of you guys have any info regarding this?http://thehuntingshack.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Trophy-Gold-Ballistics.pdf

I think those numbers are probably correct. In the Berger reloading manual the 185 is faster in the 300 RUM, but with the 210 the velocities are virtually the same. This is probably reflects the efficiency of the cartridges with heavier bullets. And a lot would also depend on the powders used for each cartridge that they worked the data up from.

From the Berger Manual:

300 RUM - 26" Barrel
185 Gr Berger - H1000 - Max. Vel. 3050 - Fill Ratio 100%
210 Gr Berger - H1000 - Max. vel. 2899 - Fill Ratio 98%

300 Web.- 26" Barrel
185 Gr Berger - H1000 - Max. Vel. 3041 - Fill Ratio 101%
210 Gr Berger - H1000 - Max. vel. 2893 - Fill Ratio 99%

The results in your rifle might be significantly different that the HSC numbers anyway. Do you plan on using chronograph do verify the velocities in your rifle? If not, you could still adjust the velocities in the shooting App till they line up with the drops you actually see when shooting the rifle.

I don't have a chronograph so I will verify thru shooting app. Your numbers above do reflect that the RUM is faster but in the chart from THS it reflects the opposite. I sent them another email.

Sorry I wasn't too clear. I may just depend on the powder they are using for example
with RL25 the Weatherby IS faster. And by about the same speeds as published by HSC.

300 RUM
210 Berger - RL25 - 2883 - 94%

300 Web
210 Berger - RL25 - 2905 - 99%

Maybe they are using different powders for the 210gr bullet. It just seemed weird that the 168 and 185 bullets were 130-200 fps faster in the RUM plus the case is larger in the RUM also correct?
It's hard to validate the velocity on a 200 yard range so I will have to travel to another town that has a range to 1000 yds I hope.

I just got off the phone with a live body at the hunting shack and had obviously missed out on The Customer Service class. They said their my was correct that was printed but could not explain without making me feel like an ******* in the process..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.